OverviewTheres something about experiencing village life in another country that gives the traveler a feeling of deep authenticity. Get that feeling on this 6-hour guided tour through the best of Cretes hamlets. Visit the 17th-century monastery of Agia Triada, set among olive groves and vineyards, and learn how olive oil and wine are made there. Then stop and take in views of the Souda Gulf at Koules Fortress before moving on to the unspoiled village of Maheri. And enjoy a hearty lunch at a classic Cretan tavern.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourVillage life is a fascinating thing. It’s slow. It’s authentic. It’s traditional. And on this 6-hour tour through the countryside of Crete, you can get a deep sense of what the slow life is like on this Greek island. After a hotel pickup in Chania, prepare to get an impressive peek at a way of life many outsiders don’t get the chance to see.
Stop at the Agia Triada monastery, a 17th-century structure that boasts an unusual three domes. The monastery, whose name means Holy Trinity, is a tranquil place to linger for a while. Check out the monastery’s vineyards, cellars and olive groves and talk to the wine and olive oil makers about their daily routines. You will enjoy olive oil tasting at the monastery.
From there, continue to the province of Apokoronas and stop at Koules Fortress, a site once known as Rocca al Mare. The formidable-looking Venetian fortress occupies a lofty position on a hill with sweeping views of the Souda Gulf. Don’t forget your camera!
After leaving the fortress, stop in Maheri, an untrammeled village of 100 inhabitants. Stroll around the hamlet’s alleyways and try to find the tiny chapel that is carved right into the face of a cliff. Take time to appreciate the loving restoration that has been done to many of the original houses here. Then head a bit inland to visit a ceramics studio and meet a well-known local ceramist.
Next, enjoy a traditional Cretan lunch at a family-run tavern with fresh local specialties set on a point overlooking a valley and the sea beyond. After lunch, return to Chania, where the tour concludes with drop-off at your hotel.
Inclusions for Cretan Villages And Countryside Tour From Chania
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Visit of the cellars and an olive oil tasting in Agia Triada Monastery
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for Cretan Villages And Countryside Tour From Chania
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Itinerary:Lunch sample menu:
- Salad with local cheese
- Stuffed vine leaves
- Meatballs with herbs
- Kaltsounia spinach pies
- Village sausages
- Lamb in lemon sauce with fries
- Pies with honey and fruit
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
Please make a note of any dietary requirements in the 'Special Requirements' field when you book
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.