OverviewExplore Chania Old Town with a local food lover on a 3-hour food walking tour, on a route that covers the atmospheric backstreets and little-known cafes that only locals seem to know. In between sampling Cretan specialties such as olives, ‘koulouri,’ sweet pie and more, learn about the city history and see some of its finest landmarks including Chania Cathedral.
- Free snacks included
- Led by a local guide
- Comprehensive tour of the city
Know More about this tourAfter meeting your guide in central Chania, set off on your stroll around the city to learn about its culinary history while scouting out its beloved cafes, markets and delicatessens. As you walk, learn about Crete’s cuisine as well as the island’s history.
Founded as a Minoan settlement, Crete went on to be ruled by the Romans, Arabs, Byzantines, Venetians and Ottoman Turks, with each set of rulers leaving their stamp on the island’s culinary history. As is the case in many Mediterranean islands, recipes are handed down from one generation to the next, leading to dishes that are cooked with beautiful local ingredients according to centuries-old methods.
Amble through Patriarchou Athinagora, one of the Old Town squares, continue past Chania Cathedral, and then wander through the little-known backstreets and alleyways to find the Chania eateries favored by locals.
The number of food stops varies, as does the type of samples you may try. However, every tour includes local specialties such as rusks — the delicious and crusty twice-baked Cretan bread rolls — and koulouri, donut-shaped bread encrusted with sweetened sesame seeds. Cheese, olive oil, olives and sweet pie are other examples of typical delicacies that may be included.
Having enjoyed three hours exploring Chania and discovering its food gems, work your way back to the start point where your food tour finishes.
Inclusions for Crete Food Tour Of Chania Old Town
- Local guide
- Food tasting
Exclusions for Crete Food Tour Of Chania Old Town
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.