OverviewIf you want some culture, get to Kolkata! The city is considered India’s cultural and intellectual capital, and we’re taking you on a jam-packed trip through the chaotic and charming city streets. Browse the flower market, check out historic artwork and architecture, and learn how modern potters still shape clay idols by hand.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Small group ensures personal service
- All entrance fees included
- Led by a local guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tourOnce youve been picked up from your hotel in Kolkata at 8am, well dive right into city life on your Kolkata tour!
Youll go first to the famous flower market and observe the fast pace of life in Kolkata and the local Bengali culture. Among the array of flowers are the vendors themselves, selling golden-yellow marigolds and wearing the strands of flowers around their waists like long flowery skirts - a perfect photo op, indeed! From here, proceed to Lal Dighi (meaning red water in Bengali), famously known as Tank Square or Dalhousie Square, located in the heart of Kolkata. Its believed this water tank was constructed during the British era, and so named because of the color the water turned during the festival of Holi or Dol in Bengal.
Youll also walk past various government buildings and the Writers Building. Next up, visit one of the oldest churches in Kolkata, built on the old burial ground where Job Charnock, the citys founder, was laid to rest. The church is known for its intricate wood carvings and marvelous glasswork, as well as a da Vinci-inspired painting of The Last Supper (but with an Indian touch, of course), by artist John Zoffany. From there, your Kolkata tour will take you to Jain Temple, also known as the Jewel Box Temple, situated in the northeast corner of the city. This exquisite temple is an ornate mass of mirrors, colored stones, and glass mosaics.
Youll finish off our city tour with a visit to Kumartuli, where idols of gods and goddesses are made out of clay. See the craftsmen at work, carving by hand without using any machinery. When the tour ends, you will be driven back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Culture Vulture Kolkata Day Tour
- Local English-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Bottle of water
Exclusions for Culture Vulture Kolkata Day Tour
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A small group of a maximum of 12 people
Minimum age is 6 years
Please dress conservatively for visiting religious and historical sites
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.