Daily Ephesus From Istanbul
OverviewSee the best sights of Ephesus on this full-day tour with private guide. Marvel at monuments from the Ephesus Ancient City, Temple of Artemis, Temple of Hadrian, Library of Celsus, 24.000-seat Great Theater, Home of Virgin Mary.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Round-trip airfares
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
Know More about this tourThis tour begins with a morning flight from Istanbul to Izmir. Meet up with your guide and drive towards Ephesus, about 45 minutes away. On the way, stop at the Artemission Temple, one of the seven wonders of the Ancient World. Then continue on to Ephesus, one of the 12 cities of Ionia, an ancient Greek district on the western coast of Asia Minor. As a port city at the mouth of the Cayster (Kkmenderes) River, it was a major departure point for trade routes into Asia Minor. Known in antiquity for its sacred shrines, notably a famous temple (one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World) to the goddess Artemis, or Diana, the city was also an important center of early Christianity.
Already a great trading and religious center during the time of the Greeks, Ephesus grew in importance after the Romans assumed control, becoming a provincial capital with traders and Christian pilgrims coming from all parts of the known world. One of the major sites at Ephesus is the beautiful Celsus Library; it was built in the beginning of the 2nd century A.D. by Gaius Julius Aquila to be a memorial to his father Gaius Julius Celsus Polemanus, the proconsul of Province of Asia. The columns at the sides of the faade are shorter than those at the center, giving the illusion of the building being greater in size. Between 1973 and 1977, an earthquake proof reconstruction of the faade was completed. The Grand Theater is one of the most impressive buildings in Ephesus. Built in the 6th century B.C. it was later expanded in the 1st century A.D. by the Romans to hold a capacity of 24,000 people. The theater was the place where St. Paul preached. Opposite is the Temple of Hadrian built in the 2nd century A.D. and renovated in the 4th century in the name of Emperor Hadrian.
Take a break for lunch in the garden of a local handicrafts center, where you can see some of the traditional carpet weaving techniques used and view splendid displays of locally-made carpets. After lunch, head to the House of Virgin Mary, located in the Aladag Mountains 5 miles from Ephesus. At the third Ecumenical Council of 431 in Ephesus, it was claimed that Mary came to Ephesus with St. John in 37 A.D. and lived there until her death in 48 A.D. After the discovery of the house, the Archbishop of Izmir declared it a place of pilgrimage in 1892. On July 26, 1967, Pope Paul VI visited this place and prayed here. After exploring the site, head back to the Izmir Airport for a 7pm flight to Istanbul. Arrive back around approximately 8pm.
Inclusions for Daily Ephesus From Istanbul
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entrance fees
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Professional guide
- Hotel drop-off
- Private tour
- Round-trip private transfer
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for Daily Ephesus From Istanbul
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum drinking age is 18 years
Dress code is smart casual
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Passport name, number, expiration date, and country are required at time of booking for all participants
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.