Day Trip To Celestun: Flamingos, Mangrove Boat Ride And Tampeten Petrified Forest - Merida
OverviewGet up close to thousands of pink flamingos and other incredible wildlife species on a boat ride through the estuary of Celestun Wildlife Refuge. This official Biosphere Reserve is home to more than 225 mammal species and youre sure to spot some of them on this day trip from Merida! Your knowledgeable guide will point out pelicans and other birds as you coast through the mangroves, with a visit to Tampeten petrified forest and a local beach in Celestun. Enjoy personal attention on this small-group tour, limited to 25 people.
- Family friendly
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourDrive to the village of Celestun, located just 60 miles (98 km) southwest of Merida, after morning pickup from your hotel by your guide. Get acquainted with your small group aboard the comfortable minivan before you reach Celestun Wildlife Refuge.
From the port, embark on a boat ride down the Celestun estuary where stream currents meet the ocean tide on their way to the sea inhabited by some of the most diverse bird species of the Yucatan!
Cruise through the mangroves on a 1.5 hour boat ride and witness a spectacular show of pink flamingos also called Caribbean flamingos as they fly overhead. Watch thousands of the birds flock on shore as they eat the shrimp-like crustaceans that give the flamingos their unique pink color. The declared Biosphere Reserve is one of the only places in the world to view such numbers of these fascinating birds in the wild!
The estuary is a natural breeding ground for the flamingos and other birds after their long migrations along the eastern coast of the Yucatan. Keep an eye out for the American white pelican, one of the largest birds in North America, with a wingspan reaching up to 9.5 feet (3 meters).
Along the way, your guide will inform your small group about the more than 230 mammal species of the region, including ocelots, spider monkeys and jaguars. Then, stop for a refreshing dip in the ojos de agua (eyes of water) deep spring-fed pools hidden among natural tunnels of the estuary, formed among the mangroves.
Complete your day tour at a beach in central Celestun, where sand and sea of unrivaled beauty await you. You'll have time to swim and enjoy lunch (own expense) here before heading back to your Merida hotel.
Inclusions for Day Trip To Celestun: Flamingos, Mangrove Boat Ride And Tampeten Petrified Forest
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Boat ride
Exclusions for Day Trip To Celestun: Flamingos, Mangrove Boat Ride And Tampeten Petrified Forest
- Food and drinks (available for purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Izamal City Tour with Light and Sound Show
- Progreso Shore Excursion: Uxmal Day Trip
- Shared Arrival Transfer: Merida Airport to Hotels
- Bike Tour to the Mayan City of Dzibilchaltun
- Puuc Route and Loltun Caves Day Trip from Merida
- Viator Exclusive: Chichen Itza at Your Own Pace from Merida with Access to Hospitality Suite