Delphi: A Day Tour At The Navel Of The World From Athens
OverviewDepart from our terminal for one day trip from Athens to Delphi to explore one of the most famous archaeological sites of Greece. Along the way, you will see the plain of Beotia, an agricultural center and you will also pass by the city of Theva, the birthplace of King Oedipus.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tour
Expect pickup from your central Athens hotel by 8:30am, when you'll board the coach for the journey to Delphi. Your guide will point out highlights including the Boeotian Plain, an agricultural center since ancient times, the city of Thebes, where King Oedipus was born, and Mount Parnassus, the towering peak above Delphi where the ancient Greek Muses lived.
Around two hours in, you'll break your journey with a short rest stop at the town of Livadia. From here, it's under an hour to Delphi, the UNESCO World Heritage Site known in ancient times as 'the navel of the world', where inspired prophetesses produced oracles that foretold the future.
Your guide will show you the Castalian Spring, where the priestesses used to bathe, and lead you around the archaeological site: you'll have about two and a half hours here, all in all. Admire highlights including the Monument to the Kings of Argos, the Athenian Treasury, the ancient colonnade known as the Stoa of the Athenians, and the polygonal wall, with its artfully crafted masonry. Learn about the Greek god Apollo and his worship at the site as you visit the Temple of Apollo.
Next, see highlights of the Delphi Archaeological Museum, packed with treasures excavated here. Admire the Naxian Sphinx, which once guarded the Temple pf Apollo, the frieze from the Siphnian Treasury, and sculptures including the Statue of Antinous, lover of the Roman emperor Hadrian. See the Charioteer of Delphi, one of the masterpieces of ancient Greek bronze artistry, created to commemorate a victory in the Pythian Games, which were held at Delphi to honor Apollo.
If you've selected the option with lunch, you'll enjoy a 3-course feast at a local restaurant. If you haven't, you'll have time to buy snacks, eat a packed lunch, or explore Delphi independently before rejoining the coach.
After lunch, visit Athena Pronaia Sanctuary, the most-photographed spot in Delphi. Return to Athens passing by Arachova. It's around 2.5hours drive back to Athens, where you'll return to your hotel around 6:30pm.
Inclusions for Delphi: A Day Tour At The Navel Of The World From Athens
- Entrance fees
- 2.5 hours visit to the archaeological siteand museum
- 3-course lunch at a local restaurant (if option selected)
- Free Wi-Fi on the coach
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
Exclusions for Delphi: A Day Tour At The Navel Of The World From Athens
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.