Dutch Waterworks - Veere
OverviewIf you want to explore something off the beaten path while in the Netherlands, this tour will be perfect for you. On this one, you will learn more about the unique and fascinating waterworks of the country. The itinerary consists of a visit to the interesting 1953 Flood Museum in Ouwekerk.
Know More about this tour
The Dutch are famous for their waterworks. The fight against the water goes way back into medieval times where protection from the water was in everybody's interest to secure house as well as land and cattle. Building dykes and creating polders were the first activities to gain land and protect it from the forces of water.
On February 1st 1953 a severe North-Western storm was hitting the shores of The Netherlands. Combined with springtide the force of the water grew to immense strength, stronger then a lot of dykes that therefor broke. Millions of liters of salty water rushed through the lowlands, destroying villages and flooding the land. 1835 people drowned, 70. 000 were evacuated and 46. 300 buildings were damaged or destroyed.
The Dutch Government then decided to put an end to this hazard once and for all and the immense program of the Delta Works took a start.
Contents:Background information, Flood museum, Zeelandbrug (5 kilometers), Oosterscheldekering (most famous) and the old city of Veere.
Inclusions for Dutch Waterworks
- Fee includes pick-up at a location to be agreed for as far within reasonable distance from excursion route, transportation from pick-up plus excursion, entrance Floodmuseum.
- Pick-up place might result in a custom made calculation.
- Travel in Saab 9.3.
- Groups over 3 persons unto 8 persons are possible on a custom made offer.
Exclusions for Dutch Waterworks
- Estimated Local Cash Needed: 2 -20 Euro? - You might want to take lunch somewhere or have a drink somewhere. There is time for this but an amount for it is not included in the fee.
- At checkout we'll ask you to provide your hotel information. Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you a confirmation voucher with full contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator in case you need to update or change your hotel pick-up details.
- In case you have not booked your hotel, Don't Worry ! Once your hotel arrangements are finalized, you can contact our local operator directly with your hotel details.
- If you cancel between 0 days To 30 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 100%
- If you cancel between 30 days To 59 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 20%
- If you cancel between 59 days To 180 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 0%
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.