Eco Lunch - Foraging Walking Tours - Rethymno
OverviewCrete Island, Greece Eco Lunch - Foraging Walking Tours - is not your average countryside walk. Immerse yourself in real Cretan nature & food culture while walking through enchanting hidden countryside. Mountains, river streams, farms and the local Minoan Archaeological site.Local Cretan and international multi-lingual guides show you the enchanting hidden Crete & share with you their ancient food & culture knowledge. You will fully interact with the raw nature, foraging wild herbs, mushrooms, vegetables, fruits and nuts. All products are organic and non GMO as Greece has prohibited GMO crops/seeds.Learn how to make olive oil, local wine, Rak, traditional Cretan breadi & cheese at our host farm (season dependent). Get back to unspoiled nature, step back in time & feel the healing affects of the Cretan way of life. Join Us for a Walk on The Wild Side of Crete!
- Explore Crete nature with multilingual guides
- Learn how to forage wild vegetables and herbs
- Experience making olive oil, local wine, raki, bread and cheese at the host farm
- Visit to the Minoan Somatas archeological sites
Know More about this tour
After a beautiful walk through the mountain-village of Kastellos (north of Rethmynon) and surrounding areas you will return to Catello Taverna and Eco farm to sample the foods you foraged and eat a tasty traditional Cretan eco lunch. At different times of the year the farm next to the taverna is active in producing local olive oil, wine, milk, bread, cheese, raki and more...
End of August and the whole of September you can be part of the wine & raki making process, harvesting the grapes. Throughout the summer there are an abundance of local fruits i.e. plums, figs, berries that can be collected for jam making or eaten on the spot. Then there is the milk products from October throughout the next year till August. The sheep and goats roam free on green pastures and produce excellent organic milk and cheese. Learn how to milk a sheep and see how traditional Cretan Cheese is made.
Seasonal Variations Program
Picking edible wild Mushrooms, Asparagus, Avronies (looks like asparagus), Thistles, Flowers, Oregano, Thyme, mint, medicinal and herbs for cooking and tea leaves.
Milking Ship, cheese making, collecting eggs in the farm.
Picking edible wild Asparagus, celery, Thistles, Flowers, Oregano, Thyme, mint, figs, black berries and many other fruits and herbs for tea.
Traditional Cretan bread baking, sheering sheep, collecting eggs in the farm. Lamb roasting lunch.
- August/September/ October:
Picking wild Black berries, cherries, nuts, figs, quince and many other fruits and herbs for tea.
Harvesting grapes, wine making and Raki distillation.
Picking Olives, olive oil making. Traditional Cretan bread baking.
Picking wild herbs, mushrooms, snails, fruits and eggs in the farm
Obs: Every walking tour will be different depending the time of the year as shown above, but also depending on the route that we walk we may find less or more quantity of the wild vegetables, fruits and nuts etc.
Nature’s Surprise, Surprise!
Our Eco Lunch - Foraging Walking Tours leave you energized & de-stressed from modern life because you reconnect with nature. You will experience a beautiful walk combined with practical Cretan food & drink culture knowledge.
It is this combination of walking & food/culture that sets 'Catello Taverna'- Foraging Walking Eco Tours apart from other only walking tours. So come to Crete & take a walk on the wild side of Crete with us.
Inclusions for Eco Lunch - Foraging Walking Tours
- Local tax
- Multi-lingual tour guides
- Cheese maker or wine/raki maker
- Bread maker
- Local farmers
- Brunch and eco lunch with water,wine and raki.
- Hotel transfers are included only from Rethymno city for the standard price.
Exclusions for Eco Lunch - Foraging Walking Tours
- Hotel transfers outside of Rethymno city.
- Insurance (Please bring your EU Health Card or Travel Insurance)
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.