OverviewDiscover Ek Balam, a more recently excavated and restored Maya archaeological site, on this full-day guided tour. Stroll among the ancient citys vegetation-covered temples, well-preserved sculptures, and make your way up the Acropolis pyramid for wonderful views at the top. After sightseeing, swim in the natural pools of Cenote Maya Park and then rappel and zipline in the Yucatn jungle. Enjoy a blessing ceremony led by a Maya shaman and a traditional buffet lunch. Hotel transport from Playa del Carmen is included.
- All necessary equipment included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Lunch included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourRise early for your full-day tour on the Yucatán Peninsula, starting with pickup from your hotel in Playa del Carmen. You’ll visit the archaeological zone of Ek Balam (about a 2-hour drive west) and enjoy outdoor activities in the nearby Cenote Maya Park, located in the Valladolid area. Depending on the day’s schedule, your guide will determine which site to kick off your morning.
Spend about 90 minutes wandering through the more recently excavated and restored ruins of Ek Balam, meaning "black jaguar," an ancient city located in the northern lowlands about 35 miles (56 km) northeast of Chichen Itza. Dating back to 100 BC, Ek Balam thrived as a Maya city and ceremonial center until 1200 BC before being suddenly abandoned. Pass by jungle-covered temples and note the well-preserved statues, while hearing more history and lore from your guide.
Pass through a ball court, an arch typical of Maya architecture, and arrive at the base of the Acropolis pyramid, 105 feet (32 meters) tall. Come upon a massive sculpture of a jaguar’s mouth, along with figures of winged men; they are said to be guarding the entrance to the underworld. Learn about the gallery of rooms inside the base, and then make your way up the pyramid and take in beautiful views of the jungle.
Spend the rest of the day at the nearby Cenote Maya Park, home to one of the area’s most impressive swimming holes, 262 feet (80 meters) in diameter. Descend a wooden staircase made using Maya techniques, reach a natural pool and enjoy a cool dip here from the hot weather. Afterward, try a number of optional activities offered in the park, including more swimming, diving, rappelling and ziplining.
You’ll also partake in a blessing ceremony with a Maya shaman, and have the chance to visit a colorful market selling handcraft items made by Maya artisans. For lunch, dig into a traditional Maya buffet, featuring dishes like lime soup, chaya tamales, beans, vegetables, rice, chicken, handmade tortillas, fruits and flavored water.
Your tour concludes with drop-off at your Playa del Carmen hotel.
Inclusions for Ek Balam Ruins And Cenote Maya Park Day Trip From Playa Del Carmen
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
- Buffet lunch
- Use of all necessary equipment
- Use of hammocks, towels and lockers
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Ek Balam Ruins And Cenote Maya Park Day Trip From Playa Del Carmen
- Gratuities (optional)
- Alcoholic beverages
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 6 years
Not recommended for participants with back problems
Not recommended for pregnant women
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes and bring a swimsuit and sunscreen
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.