OverviewGet under the skin of El Calafate and see the ancient rock paintings of Patagonias earliest settlers on this 3-hour sightseeing tour. Traveling in an air-conditioned coach, drive to the shores of beautiful Lake Argentino to visit the Walichu Caves, home to rock paintings believed to date back 4,000 years. Next, enjoy a panoramic tour of El Calafate Old Town, look for flamingos and other birds on Laguna Nimez, and visit the El Calafate Historical Interpretation Center to learn about the areas incredible history, geology, peoples and glaciers.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourStart your tour with a pickup from your centrally located El Calafate hotel. Relax into your air-conditioned coach or minivan and enjoy the views over the untouched landscapes on route to Walichu Caves.
After roughly 30 minutes, arrive at the ancient caves on the shores of Lake Argentino. Marvel at the spectacular milky-blue lake, and follow the trail (own expense) to gaze at the aeons-old rock paintings. Admire the recreated and authentic depictions of humans and animals, and learn from a local guide how they date back around 4,000 years to Paleolithic times and were probably originated created by pre-Tehuelche hunter-gatherers.
Next, drive back to El Calafate for a panoramic sightseeing tour. Drive past the early 20th-century buildings and homes built by its first settlers, as well as the main plaza, church and other landmarks as your guide details the town’s early beginnings.
Afterward, continue to Laguna Nimez, the beautiful nearby birdlife reserve. Stroll along the waterside and use the supplied binoculars to admire the flamingoes, swans and other birds on its waters.
Finish at the El Calafate Historical Intepretation Center. Explore this informative museum independently (own expense) and uncover the area’s history, wildlife and geology. See the bones of dinosaurs that roamed here millennia ago, and trace the formation of Patagonia’s glaciers and story of the Tehuelche peoples who lived here for centuries before the arrival of colonizers.
Either end your tour here to stay on at the museum cafe or souvenir shop, or finish your trip with a hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for El Calafate City Sightseeing Tour Including Walichu Caves
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees to Walichu Caves and El Calafate Historical Interpretation Centre
- Use of binoculars at Laguna Nimez
Exclusions for El Calafate City Sightseeing Tour Including Walichu Caves
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.