Essential Tromso: Historical City Walk
OverviewAn experienced guide will introduce you to the city of Tromsø and its century long history full of stories and anecdotes. You will encounter Tromsø's most important landmarks, including several northern superlatives and charming wooden houses from the city's time as central trade hub in the North. During our walking tour in the city centre, we will visit the Polar Museum, one of Norway's two most significant museums on the subject, and Ølhallen, Tromsø's oldest and most authentic pub.
- Excellent value for money
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Led by a local guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourIn this walking tour, you will get acquainted with the city of Troms and its century long history. On the first leg of the tour, we will see the remains of medieval Troms, the market place with a monument to the fishermen that lost their lives at sea, and relics from the city's time as the central trade hub in the North.
A guided tour at the Polar Museum is included in the price of the tour. The Polar Museum hosts a number of exhibitions on polar history, which is closely intertwined with the history of Troms. Your guide will lead you through exhibitions on Svalbard, sealing, well-known polar heroes such as Roald Amundsen and Fridtjof Nansen, as well as lesser-known polar heroes from Troms, such as the polar bear king Henry Rudi and Wanny Wolstad, the first woman to hunt on Svalbard.
After our visit to the museum, we will walk along the city's bustling pedestrian street, on which we will also encounter the spot with the highest density of sights in all of Troms. On this part of the tour we will not only see all of Troms's Art Nouveau buildings (both of them), but also the world's northernmost Catholic and Protestant cathedrals. There we will also learn about the historical significance of the site of the Protestant cathedral, and about how its history is intertwined with that of the Mack Brewery and Troms's oldest pub lhallen, the next place we will visit on our tour.
lhallen used to be the gathering point for the Arctic hunters and fishermen and the centre of social life in Troms. The spirit of this time can still be felt in its halls today. Nowadays lhallen is the place in Troms with the largest selection of Mack beer from the world's northernmost brewery on tap, and they are also serving 50 different craft beers from Norwegian microbreweries on tap! Their draught system is the largest in Europe.
Inclusions for Essential Tromso: Historical City Walk
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional guide
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Essential Tromso: Historical City Walk
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Small-group Arctic Landscapes Sightseeing Tour from Tromso - Winter
- Small-group Aurora Hunt Northern Lights Tour from Tromso
- Guided Cross Country Ski Trip in Tromso - Beginner XC Ski Course
- 2-Hour Guided Snowshoe Walk on Tromsoya Island in Tromso
- Snow Shoe Tour in the Arctic Tromso
- Cross Country Skiing in the Arctic Tromso
- Glaciers Wildlife Mining Cultural Heritage Sites this is Svalbard in a Nutshell
- Breathtaking fjord cruise on a presidential yacht