Experience Diwali: Celebrate With A Local Indian Family In Delhi
OverviewCelebrate Diwali, India’s annual Festival of Lights, at the home of a resident family in Delhi. Discover fascinating aspects of this ancient Hindu holiday, including its traditions and rituals, with a knowledgeable guide. Shop for garments before you join the celebration, then witness prayers at a local temple, dine on an authentic Indian feast, and watch fireworks light up the sky. Round-trip hotel transport is included on this small-group tour, limited to 12, to ensure a personalized experience.Please note: This seasonal tour runs annually in October. The dates are subject to change.
- All entrance fees included
- Dinner included
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Includes free admission to top local attractions
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Seasonal Offer
- Small group ensures personal service
- Small-group tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Vegetarian meal option available
Know More about this tourDiwali is considered one of the world's oldest religious festivals. It signifies victory of light over darkness and good over evil, when Lord Rama defeated the demon king Ravana, and Hindu residents illuminated their village to welcome him home on a moonless night.
The day before, called Small Diwali, people decorate their homes with clay lamps, or diyas. For the Festival of Lights, which occurs on November 11, 2015, it is also considered auspicious to purchase new clothes, offer prayers and light firecrackers.
After hotel pickup in the late afternoon, your guide takes your small group to shop for Indian garments before the celebrations begin. Skip the overcrowded marketplace and head to a specialty shop known for clothing and other sustainable products made by rural artisans who use traditional skills and hand-based processes.
Women can have fun trying on silk cotton saris, skirts and dupattas (long scarves) while the men in the group can dress in kurtas (long tunics) and nehru jackets. Shop assistants can help you decide what to purchase, but you wont have to bargain since everything has a fixed price.
After shopping, head to the home of a local family and experience a traditional welcome with a beverage. Slip off your shoes to enter their home, where you can learn about Diwalis history and its associated festivities as you sip chai tea and enjoy light Indian snacks.
Powdered colors are poured on the floor to create intricate designs called rangoli, and women and girls can pay to have the palms of their hands decorated with henna in traditional Indian design patterns (see Additional Info for more details).
For dinner, your host family shares an authentic Indian feast of dishes accompanied by rice, Indian bread, salad, curd, pickle and desserts with your small group. When darkness falls, watch a fireworks display illuminate Delhis skyline and join the celebration as locals light firecrackers in the streets.
Return to your Delhi satisfied by Indian food and the memories of the joyous occasion.
Inclusions for Experience Diwali: Celebrate With A Local Indian Family In Delhi
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned car
- Traditional dinner
- Carbon offset certificate
Exclusions for Experience Diwali: Celebrate With A Local Indian Family In Delhi
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Henna body art service available for USD $5.00 Please inquire with your tour operator for details
Note: Henna is made from a natural paste; it looks just like a permanent tattoo, but no needles are involved and the design only stays on the skin for a few days.
Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended
Extra caution is advised when lighting candles and fireworks
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.