Experience Diwali: Celebrate With A Local Indian Family In MumbaiWrite a Review
OverviewExperience Diwali, India's Festival of Lights, firsthand with a local family and knowledgeable guide in Mumbai. Learn about this ancient Hindu holiday as you shop for silk cotton clothes, celebrate in a local home, observe temple prayers, light firecrackers and enjoy a traditional Indian dinner. Round-trip hotel transport is included on this small-group tour, limited to 12, to ensure a personalized experience.
Please note: This seasonal tour runs annually in October. The dates are subject to change.
- All entrance fees included
- Dinner included
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Includes free admission to top local attractions
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Seasonal Offer
- Small group ensures personal service
- Small-group tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Vegetarian meal option available
Know More about this tourIndia’s annual Festival of Lights, known as Diwali, is celebrated in the late fall following the harvest, when people purchase new clothes, pray for prosperity, light fireworks and share an abundant feast.
During Small Diwali, people decorate their homes with clay lamps, or diyas. The next day, Diwali is celebrated to honor the Hindu god Lord Rama’s defeat of the demon king Ravana, and residents illuminate their homes and streets to honor this victory of good over evil.
After hotel pickup in the late afternoon on your selected day, your guide takes your small group to shop for Indian garments before the celebrations begin. As you travel through the city, note the open doors and windows at homes and Hindu temples, where people allow prosperity to pass through with prayer offerings to Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth, and Lord Ganesh.
You'll pass on the overcrowded marketplace and head to a specialty shop known for clothing and other sustainable products made by rural artisans using traditional skills and hand-based processes. Women can try on silk cotton saris, skirts, and dupattas (long scarves); men can dress up in kurtas (long tunics) and nehru jackets. Shop assistants can help you decide what to purchase, but you won’t have to bargain since everything has a fixed price.
After shopping, head to the home of a local family and experience a traditional welcome with a beverage. Learn more about Diwali’s history and its associated festivities as you sip chai tea and enjoy light Indian snacks.
Powdered colors are poured on the floor to create intricate designs called rangoli, and females can opt to have the palms of their hands decorated with henna in traditional Indian design patterns (own expense; see Additional Info).
For dinner, your small group shares an authentic Indian feast with the host family, enjoying a selection of dishes accompanied by rice, Indian bread, salad, curd and pickle followed by desserts. When darkness falls, watch a fireworks display light up the skyline and join the celebration as locals light firecrackers in the streets.
Sated with Indian food and festivities, you’re returned to your hotel in Mumbai.
Inclusions for Experience Diwali: Celebrate With A Local Indian Family In Mumbai
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned car
- Traditional dinner
- Carbon offset certificate
Exclusions for Experience Diwali: Celebrate With A Local Indian Family In Mumbai
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Henna body art service available for USD $5.00 Please ask your tour operator for details
Henna is made from a natural paste; it looks just like a permanent tattoo, but no needles are involved and the design only stays on the hands for a few days
Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended
Extra caution is advised when lighting candles and fireworks
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Highlights Of Mumbai: Sightseeing Tour Of Mumbai
- Private Tour: Kanheri Caves, Elephanta Caves Or Karla And Bhaja Caves From Mumbai
- Full-Day Bollywood Tour In Mumbai
- World Famous Ancientness Elephanta Caves Tour With Toy Train Ride
- Mumbai Bicycle Tour
- Mumbai Street Food Tour
- Private Departure Transfer: Mumbai Hotels To Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM)
- Private Arrival Transfer: Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) To Mumbai Hotels
- Bollywood Mumbai By Night
- Full Day Bollywood Tour