OverviewDay trip to Northern Bulgaria, a land full of historical treasures, breath-taking scenery and made whole by the hospitality of its inhabitants. Departure from Bucharest and visit to Veliko Tarnovo, Arbanasi Village, Basarabov Monastery and Ruse Town.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Excellent value for money
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourThis one-day trip to Northern Bulgaria starts from Bucharest. After crossing Friendship Bridge over Danube River, we stop to Basarabov Rock Monastery, built in a cave. It is here that the relics of St Dimitrie Basarabov, Saint Dimitrie the New-patron saint of Bucharest were found! It`s the only cave monastery in Bulgaria still inhabited by monks and maintained for tourists and the faithful.
Continuing on the footsteps of the old Vlachs you arrive to Veliko Tarnovo, the former capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1187-1393).
Veliko Tarnovo impresses with its location on the hills around the medieval fortress, the story of the four Asan kings, and the fragrance of roses. Asan was an army commander and founder of the Asan dynasty. Together with his brother Petru, acknowledged king by the Pope of Rome, they founded the Kingdom of the Bulgarian Vlachs (12-th century, the Second Bulgarian Empire). Following victories against the Byzantium emperors, with the help received from Romanians north of the Danube, the brothers acquired recognition as emperors.
The Veliko Tarnovo Fortress is famous for its remarkable architectural monuments, miniatures, mural paintings, literature, arts and crafts. It is located on the main road connecting Europe with Asia Minor in the valley of the Yantra river. From its glory days as the king`s capital we can still see a lot even today, but the town is still holding secrets and legends referring to hidden royal libraries and treasures from the burned monastery.
Tour the impressive Tsarevets Fortress, then enjoy free time on Samovodene Street with its artisan shops. Continue to the nearby village of Arbanassi, a World Heritage Site.
The name Arbanassi comes from the Albanian word Arbërës or Arbanas, which means "land worker". Free time for lunch in one of the many traditional restaurants in this charming village. Then visit Konstantzalieva House, built in the 17th century and belonging to one of the rich merchant families of the place. Complete your tour with the half underground Church of the Nativity, the earliest in Arbanassi. The iconostasis of this church is one of the earliest examples of superb woodcarving work in Bulgaria. Most of the depictions in the gallery represent the Orthodox Calendar from January, February and March. These calendar series comprise stories from The Old Testament - scenes revealing the martyrdom of different saints.
If time allows, on the way back to Bucharest, we will make a short walking tour in Ruse Town, visiting the most important tourist attractions and walking on the main commercial street of this Bulgarian Harbour. From Ruse we drive back to Bucharest. Evening arrival to your hotel in Bucharest.
Inclusions for Explore Northern Bulgaria Day Trip From Bucharest
- Fuel surcharge
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Walking tour
- Transport by private vehicle
Exclusions for Explore Northern Bulgaria Day Trip From Bucharest
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
A minimum of two people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Bucharest City Tour
- Private Full Day Tour Of Bucharest
- Private Tour To Peles And Dracula's Castle - Day Trip From Bucharest
- Private Van One Way Airport Transfers In Bucharest
- Bucharest Horse Riding Experience
- Private Van Departure Transfer To Bucharest BBU Airport
- Bucharest Private Airport Transfer From Or To City Center Hotel
- Bucharest 90 Minutes Epic Escape Room Da Vinci's Secret Adventure Mystery
- Extended Walking Tour Of Bucharest
- Full-Day Royal Castles And Champagne Tasting Tour From Bucharest