Fabulous Hiking Adventure: Sunset On Lantau Islands Sunset Peak
OverviewSunset Peak, Lantau's second highest peak standing at 869m is not a technical ascent but a level of fitness is required and previous hiking experience will be a distinct advantage. The descent is also a little steep in places but with steps in place it is manageable. Sunset on Sunset Peak, this is one for the hopeless romantics, the photographer or just those that want a little adventure and fun. Sunset Peak is situated on one of Hong Kong's outlying islands, Lantau. This evening hiking tour is around 5 hours.
- Instant Confirmation
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
Know More about this tourTo get this adventure underway you will be required to catch the 13.50 ferry from Central Pier 6 to Lantau Island. Your guide will meet you at Central ferry pier number 6 before embarking the fast ferry to Mui Wo ferry terminal, the start and finish point of many of Lantau's endurance events. Fear not this is not one of them.
Please allow time at this point for a supplies and equipment check, water and head torch (available for hire) plus correct clothing for the time of year and current forecast weather conditions.
Then, you will head out through the old village of Mui Wo and Silvermine Bay to follow the River Silver. Its not long before you are heading onto a forested trail which signals the start of the ascent. This ascent will take you from sea level all the way to the 869m Sunset Peak, your guide will set a very steady and most importantly maintainable pace, once again you are allowed plenty of time for breaks and the steady hiking pace.
The trail you follow remains wooded as you continue to ascend before the landscape starts to change as you gain altitude and slowly but surely Sunset starts to reveal its views. First fabulous views of the coastal town Pui O and its long sandy beach, further afield views of the surrounding islands. Up you go still further at times the ascent will test you. Heading for the Peak now crossing over a couple of small waterfalls and heading on past a dozen or so stone dwellingswhat were originally built by missionaries in the 1920s, then on past the 800m mark to the peak.
The view from here is stunning but is magnified by the sunset on that you have worked so hard for. You will not be disappointed even if you do not get the full sunset.
Once finished on the peak and the sun has set and photos are done you will head down the opposite side of Sunset Peak with a few steep sections to beware of and now we will be hiking in the dark so soaking up a different atmosphere on your descent which is shorter and far less demanding as we ascend to 324m where you will catch a bus back to Mui Wo.
On arrival at Mui Wo ferry Pier this is officially the end of your hike but your guide will be than happy to suggest food and beverage options if so desired and will advise on ferry timings and be happy to help with any other questions.
Inclusions for Fabulous Hiking Adventure: Sunset On Lantau Islands Sunset Peak
- Tour escort/host
- Pickup and drop-off from designated meeting points
- Small-group tour
- Walking tour
- One way bus ticket at the end of the trip back to the ferry pier
- Headtorches are available for hire, 50HKD including batteries
Exclusions for Fabulous Hiking Adventure: Sunset On Lantau Islands Sunset Peak
- Round trip ferry tickets
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Minimum age is 14 years
Deteriorating weather conditions can cause this trip to be cancelled at late notice
You do not need to be super-fit for this trip, however the climbs can be moderately demanding for the none experienced with some long hours of sustained walking. The effects of heat and humidity may also further tax your body. You will enjoy the trip all the more if you are in good physical shape having exercised regularly
Footwear: quality walking shoes/trainers with good grip are a must, anything less is unacceptable
Highly recommend the layer system clothing according to the season and a change of clothes carried in a dry bag: Summer (Hot): May ~ October/November - Dri-fit, Climalite, Breathable materials; Wet Season: April ~ September - light weight waterproof breathable shell, spare socks; Winter (cold): November/December ~ March - Wind proof shell, fleece, hiking trousers, gloves & beanie
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
Hydration: As in all hiking, keeping yourself hydrated is essential but never more so than in Hong Kong's hot season. It is routinely possible to lose up to 1 liter of fluid per hour whilst hiking so it is important you carry enough water/electrolytes to keep hydrated for the duration of the hike.
Required items for all hikers: Lightweight hiking shoes or hiking boots; Water in bottles or bladder (recommend 3 litres in hot weather); Sunhat & Sunscreen; Backpack; Suitable Clothing
Suggested items: Personal travel/medical insurance; Octopus card; Spare clothing in dry bag; Hiking poles; Insect repellent; Camera; Snacks to keep you going
Public transport: Hiking in Hong Kong involves the use of the very efficient public transportation system. All hikes start and finish at the nearest MTR station. Any transportation costs between the nearest MTR station and trail start/end will be covered by local tour operator
Hike start times vary, please be aware of this to ensure on-time arrival, all hikes will start promptly. Hikes will not be delayed as unfair to inconvenience others.
Not recommended for pregnant women
Not recommended for participants with back problems
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Transfers in Puno between Bus or Train Station - Hotel
- Private Transfer - Cairo Airport Arrivals Hall to Hotel
- Cheong Fatt Tze George Town Penang: The Blue Mansion Guided Tour
- Private Departure Transfer: Negombo City to Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIA
- Private Arrival Transfer: Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIA to Negombo City
- Guided Tour of Cathedral of Holy Trinity