Farnesina Gallery Small Group TourWrite a Review
An amazing guided tour inside Villa Farnesina. The most wonderful and harmonious creations of the Italian Renaissance ever designed It is a masterpiece in which architectural design and pictorial decoration fuse in¬to a single marvelous synthesis.
Be guided inside the amazing Villa Fanesina in a small groups tour. Feast your eyes with fabulous paint work and decoration of this unique elegant Villa. Learn the history of the Loggia of Cupid and Psyche with a professional guide.
Walk inside the Perspective Room and feel amazed by the art work. Admire the Raphael Frescos while your guide will tell you all the arts and facts of the most famous painter of all times.
Walk over the Ponte Sisto and listen the history of this lovely bridge over the Tiber River and visit the heart of Trastevere; get to Piazza Farnese and admire the Farnese Palace from outside.
- Small group ensures personal service
- Skip the line
- Ideal choice for families
- Excellent value for money
Know More about this tourBuilt in the early sixteenth century, is one of the noblest and most harmonious creations of the Italian Renaissance. It is a masterpiece in which architectural design and pictorial decoration fuse into a single marvellous synthesis. The sober volumetric and spatial layout of the Villa, devised by the architect Baldassarre Peruzzi, is indeed the perfect setting for its rich interior decoration, boasting frescos by great masters such as Raphael, Sebastiano del Piombo, Giovanni Antonio Bazzi known as Sodoma, and Peruzzi himself.
Before moving into the Farnesina, Agostino Chigi lived in a house in Via dei Banchi with his young wife Margherita Saracini, who died childless in 1508. He then embarked on an affair with the courtesan Imperia, famous for her beauty and culture, who bore him a daughter, Lucrezia. But even before the death of Imperia in 1511 he had begun to court Margherita Gonzaga, the natural daughter of Francesco Gonzaga, Marquis of Mantua; he failed to pull this marriage off however, even though he had promised to give up all his business interests so as to appease the prejudices of the Mantuan court. In 1511, on a debt-collecting mission to Venice, he met a young girl of humble origins, Francesca Ordeaschi, and lived with her as her common-law husband until 1519. In that year on the feast of St Augustine, no doubt prompted by a sense his own mortality, he decided to regularise his position with a proper wedding and at the same time dictated his Will.
The wedding banquet was a memorable event, but no less sumptuous were the many feasts that Agostino gave, especially in the last years of his life, when he welcomed into his new home the foremost personalities of the age: poets, princes, cardinals, even the pope himself. The chroniclers record for example that in 1518, on the occasion of the christening of the eldest child Lorenzo Leone, gold and silver vessels used for the banquet were flung into the Tiber as a sign of munificence. After its acquisition by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese the Younger, and after the death of his nephew Odoardo who inherited it, the Villa was abandoned, being occasionally lent to important visitors to Rome such as Cardinal Richelieu, Cardinal Frederick of Assia-Darmstadt, Queen Christina of Sweden and various ambassadors of Louis XIV. In 1735 the Villa was bequeathed by Elisabetta Farnese to Carlo IV, King of the Two Sicilies, and became the residence of various Neapolitan ambassadors until Francesco II of Naples, having retired to Rome after his abdication, granted a 99-year lease on the Farnesina to the Spanish ambassador of Naples, Salvador Bermudez de Castro, the duke of Ripalta. Finally the Villa was acquired in 1927 by the State, which used it to house the Italian Academy and in 1944 gave it to the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, housed in the nearby Palazzo Corsini.
Inclusions for Farnesina Gallery Small Group Tour
- Skip the line
- Headsets to hear your guide during the tour
- Interior and exterior tour of the Villa Farnesina
Exclusions for Farnesina Gallery Small Group Tour
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Admission fees to the Gallery are not included in the tour rate:
- For all those between the age of 10 years old and over, admission fees are 12 euros per person.
- For all those under the age of 10 years old, you only pay booking fees of 3 euros per person.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not wheelchair accessible
Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes prior tour departure.
For all those under the age of 10 year old, please ensure that you have an ID.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Bangkok Hotel To Koh Chang Hotel SIC
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport To Pattaya Hotel
- Chiang Mai - Half Day Mae Sa Elephants At Work!
- Dream World & Snow Town With Lunch SIC
- Jim Thompson House Private Tour
- Chao Phraya Princess Cruise With Dinner
- Angthong National Marine Park By Big Boat
- Van On Disposal Within Bangkok Area
- Airport Diamond Marhaba Service - Dubai
- Phuket Fantasea Show