Florence Wonderful Tour: The Duomo Complex
OverviewConsisting of two interconnected ogival shells, the cathedral's octagonal dome was erected between 1418 and 1434 to a design which Filippo Brunelleschi entered in a competition in 1418 but which was only accepted, after much controversy, in 1420.A masterpiece capable of withstanding lightning, earthquakes and the passage of time, it continues to enchant all those who observe it from afar. The dome has a diameter of 45.5 metres, the equivalent of the baptistry in its entirety.Brunelleschi's astonishingly innovative approach involved vaulting the dome space without any scaffolding by using a double shell with a space in between.The inner shell of the dome was frescoed by Giorgio Vasari and Federico Zuccari from 1572 to 1579, the subject matter chosen, namely the Last Judgement, reflecting the iconography adopted in the baptistry. The frescoes on the inner shell of the dome were the object of a thorough restoration between 1978 and 1994.
Know More about this tourYou will be met by your guide for a morning exploring Florences most famous buildings, the impressive Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore better known simply as a Il Duomo and its surrounding buildings and museum. As you meander through the cobbled streets of old Florence your local guide will introduce you to the citys fascinating history until you reach the Piazza del Duomo.
Today, many of the original elements of the Duomo facade and Baptistry are now preserved in the Opera Duomo Museum and a visit here is a must when exploring the Duomo complex. Starting here with your guide, youll be able to visit the major artworks that were once on display on the exterior of the Duomo and Baptistry but now brought inside for safe keeping. The most famous works to be seen here are the original bronze doors of the Baptistry, crafted by Pisano and Ghiberti. In addition, a magnificent replica of the Medieval faade of the Duomo, complete with many of the original sculptures is also on display.
Next you will head out to the Duomo itself where your guide will walk you through the building, explaining everything from Brunelleschis impressive dome right through to the crypts underneath where you can see the layout of the foundations of the original 5th century church.
Inclusions for Florence Wonderful Tour: The Duomo Complex
- Professional guide
- Professional art historian guide
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Florence Wonderful Tour: The Duomo Complex
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Florence & Dante Game tour - Art Treasure Hunt - Family Tour
- COLOSSEUM TOUR FROM FLORENCE BY HIGH-SPEED TRAIN WITH HOP ON HOP OFF BUS
- VATICAN MUSEUMS INCLUDING SISTINE CHAPEL FROM FLORENCE BY HIGH-SPEED TRAIN
- COLOSSEUM & VATICAN TOUR FROM FLORENCE BY HIGH-SPEED TRAIN & HOP ON HOP OFF BUS
- FIRENZE WALKING TOUR AND CHIANTI TASTING WITH ACCADEMIA OR UFFIZI OPTION
- Duomo Express Guided Tour with No-Wait Access
- Private tour - Palatina Gallery and Raphael Masterpieces
- Guided Truffle Hunt in Tuscany with Light Gourmet Lunch