Full-Day Kairouan And El Jem Tour From Tunis
OverviewKairouan, the 4th holiest city in the Islamic world. The visit starts from the 9Th century Aghlabid basins with an introduction to the foundation of Kairouan and its glorious ages. Moving to the grand mosque, the oldest in North Africa, then the nearby Sidi Sahbi with an introduction to some Tunisian traditions. End the visit with a walk through the medina and its exotic charm. Visit of El Jem (Thysdrus) Roman amphitheater, the third biggest & the best-preserved one in the Roman world. Terminate with the visit of the famous Museum of El Jem.
Know More about this tour
Departure to Kairouan from your Tunis centrally located accommodation. The tour starts with the last two 9th century Aghlabid Basins which were among the greatest waterworks of the Middle Ages. The basins are seen from the top of the Tourist Information Building and they form an introduction to the foundation of Kairouan and its glorious age.
Proceed to visit the 7th-century Great Okba Mosque, the oldest one in North Africa. Appreciate the powerful and beautiful expression of faith inherent in the 9th-century building. Proceed to the nearby Sidi Sahbi, to visit the 17th-19th-century building with its minaret & beautiful courtyards lined with green-blue tile work & white plaster stucco. Then on to the entrance of the Medina and the guided walk through the main street of the mystic Medina up to Bir Barouta. Free time is given for individual discovery & shopping at the Medina.
Lunch at a local restaurant. Moving to El Jem (70 km / 1h 15mn drive). El Jems amphitheater is the main attraction and is one of Tunisias most often visited sites. This monumental amphitheater, built in the mid 3rd century AD (230-240 AD), is the largest Roman monument left in Africa and ranks 3rd in the Empire after those of Rome and Verona. Being one of the last large amphitheaters built during the Roman era, its architectural design is an improvement over that of the Coliseum of Rome.
Inclusions for Full-Day Kairouan And El Jem Tour From Tunis
- Tour Guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from your Tunis centrally located hotel
- Lunch in Kairouan
- Entrance Fees
- Transport by air-conditioned private car
Exclusions for Full-Day Kairouan And El Jem Tour From Tunis
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from hotel in other cities
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Half-Day City Tour of Tunis
- Full-Day Tour to Zaghouan from Tunis
- Carthage and Sidi Bou Said Half-Day Guided Tour from Tunis
- Private Transfer From Tunis Carthage Airport to Sousse
- Dougga Guided Day Tour from Tunis
- Full-Day Tour to Carthage, Sidi Bou Said and Bardo Museum from Tunis
- Bardo Museum and Medina Guided Half-Day Tour in Tunis