Take a small group walking tour of Lantau and visit the awe inspiring Big Buddha and the wonderfully quaint stilt village of Tai O. Includes a ride on the famous Ngong Ping cable car, a boat ride through Tai O village and lunch at the UNESCO recognised Tai O Heritage hotel; originally established as a police station in 1902 to combat pirates prevalent in the neighbouring waters. Maximum of 9 people on group tours to ensure an intimate and personal touring experience. This is a far cry from the coach tours of Lantau!
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Small group ensures personal service
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Lunch included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tour
The small public group Lantau tours last approximatly 7 hours. They start and finish at Tung Chung MTR station.
On weekdays, you meet at Tung Chung MTR station at 9:45am. On Sundays and public holidays you meet at Tung Chung MTR station at 8:45am. You start early to avoid the crowds.
Your small group Lantau tour starts with a ride on the Ngong Ping Cable Car. You will be treated to the most wonderful views of Lantau Country Park and the airport as you travel over the back of the island for 25 minutes. Your destination is the famous Big Buddha. Here you will learn about Buddhism, climb the 268 steps to the Buddha, visit the Po Lin Monastery and the new hall of 10,000 Buddhas.
From Ngong Ping it is a 20 minute public bus ride to Tai O, the Venice of Hong Kong. Tai O is one of the very few remaining places in Hong Kong where you can still see stilt houses over the water. Tai O used to be a fairly big community but due to the decline of the fishing industry it, like Venice, is now primarily a tourist destination, for both overseas visitors and Hong Kongers escaping the hustle and bustle of the city. Tai O is still known for its traditional production of shrimp sauce and shrimp paste and for its colourful seafood market.
You will embark on a full exploration of Tai O visiting the beautifully restored Old Police Station, now operating as a UNESCO recognised heritage hotel. This is where you will enjoy lunch (included) in the very nice Lookout restaurant which overlooks the ocean. You will visit one of the two remaining shrimp sauce production factories, meander the back streets in and around the stilt houses, visit a temple from the late 1400’s and learn about the religion of Taoism.
If you have the energy you will walk to a lookout point where you can get an excellent view of the construction of the 42km bridge that is being built between Hong Kong and Macau. For those that are less able to walk longer distances you can spend some free time browsing the shops around the temple, or taking a break in a coffee shop. You will also enjoy a (very fun) boat ride at Tai O, through the stilt houses. This is also included in your tour price.
Once you have finished at Tai O will take the public bus back to Tung Chung MTR station where the tour finishes.
Inclusions for Full Day Lantau Island Small Group Tour In Hong Kong
- One way ticket on the Ngong Ping cable car
- Boat ride at Tai O
- Lunch at the Lookout restaurant at the Heritage Hotel in Tai O
- Public transport used during the tour
Exclusions for Full Day Lantau Island Small Group Tour In Hong Kong
- Transport to and from the meeting point in Tung Chung
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour does involve a lot of walking. At most you can expect to walk about 12km. Please be aware that the most you can reduce it to will be about 8km if you opt not to walk to the lookout point for the Macau bridge. You will be going at a slow pace, across flat land but you do need to be in reasonable health and fitness. There is one long stint of walking in particular where you will need to be able to cover about 3km without rests. This is a public group tour and there is no option to modify the route for those that struggle with the walking requirements. If you wish to visit the Big Buddha up close you will need to be able to climb up 268 steps
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.