Nagano City is well-known for hosting the 1998 Winter Olympic Games and while some of the former Olympic facilities can still be viewed in Nagano, the city has since evolved as a temple town revolving around the famous Zenkoji Temple and is most visited during the Spring Season, the Fall Season and the Winter Season.
- Spend a full-day in Nagano exploring the city and enjoying what this quaint town has to offer.
- On the route to theJigokudani Snow Monkey Park, enjoy the beautiful scenery and landscape of the Chikuma River, where you may also try local miso soup and see how local people eat in the area.
- Before arriving at theentrance of the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, enjoy a 30 - 40-minute leisurely stroll through the forest path. Once you enter the park,have somehot tea before spending time with the snow monkeys, many of which are bathing in the hot springs (onsen) to keep warm, especially during the cool months of autumn and winter.
- After an exciting morning at the park, visit Obuse Town, which is most well-known for being the hometown of Japan's most famous artist and creator of the "Great Wave",Hokusai Katsushika. Enjoy lunch in the area (at your own expense) before walking around to explore the shops and try sake tasting.
- After a day at Obuse Town, head to Zenko-ji temple, one of the most important and populartemplesin Japan, as it stores the firstBuddhiststatue ever to be brought into Japan when Buddhism was first introduced in the 6th century. Learn about the temple and howthe locals pray for good fortune.
- As an option, at the end of the day, enjoy an onsen experience in Shibu Onsen (ahot spring resort that has 1,300 years of history). Step back in time while walking through this historic Onsen Town.
Seasonal Recommendations for This Tour:
Spring Cherry Blossom (Sakura) Viewing: Mid-April to Early-May
Autumn Foliage (Koyo) Viewing: Early-September to Late-November
Winter Festivities: Early-December to Late-March