OverviewThis tour combines a visit to Hobbiton and Rotorua all in one day. Experience a 2-hour guided tour of the Hobbit movie set on privately owned, picturesque farmland in this hidden valley. See Hobbit Holes, Bag End, enjoy a drink at the Green Dragon Inn then on to Te Puia in Rotorua for geysers, boiling mud, a Maori cultural performance including the haka plus weaving, carving and the kiwi bird. Don't miss this fantastic day out that showcases why the Port of Tauranga is such a popular destination.
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
Know More about this tourDeparting Tauranga, we first cross the harbor bridge, which offers great views of The Mount, the volcanic core 232m high which marks the entrance to the harbor of Tauranga. Then, climb up to over 1000 feet to cross the Kaimai mountain range which divides the Bay of Plenty coastal region from the Waikato district, the main dairy farming area of New Zealand.
You will then arrive at Hobbiton, the movie set location for the village in the Lord of The Rings films. Here, you will be met by your private guide for an informative tour around the movie set location. Stand under the party tree, walk past the Hobbit holes, imagine yourself among the characters. Nestled deep in the rolling hills of the Waikato, this location was chosen for it unblemished landscape.
Leaving Hobbiton, the journey takes you through the Mamaku Ranges, past ancient forests and over the rim of the volcanic crater which now forms the lake of Rotorua. After passing through the city of Rotorua and some of the famous landmarks such the Rotorua Bath House and Government Gardens, arrive at Whakarewarewa - Te Puia, the home of the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute and the location of the famous Pohutu geyser.
Visit a carving school and see craftsman fashion traditional wood carvings, then move on to watch Maori women demonstrate flax weaving. A short walk takes the group through the geothermal valley of Whakarewarewa to view the mud pools, the famous Pohutu geyser and hot pools that make Te Puia unique. See New Zealand's iconic flightless bird, the Kiwi in a purpose built Kiwi-house. Explore the recreated traditional Maori fortified village.
Seats are reserved for the group to see a Maori Cultural Performance; this is given on the Marae, in one of the few fully carved meeting houses in New Zealand, a place of special spiritual significance to Maori. Here you will see the traditional songs, dances and demonstrations of fighting skills [including the Haka] performed.
Finally, depart Rotorua for the return to Tauranga to rejoin the ship. A stop is provided where you can buy something at a local cafe for lunch (own expense).
Please note that sometimes the order of the tour is reversed to suit the ships arrival and departure times.
Inclusions for Full-Day Shore Excursion: Hobbiton And Te Puia Combo
- Entrance fee to Hobbiton and tour
- Entrance fee to Te Puia and concert
- A tankard of Hobbit ale at the Green Dragon
- Comfortable air-conditioned transport
- Experienced, professional and fun guide
Exclusions for Full-Day Shore Excursion: Hobbiton And Te Puia Combo
- Food and drinks however time is allowed to have lunch at a local cafe or Hobbiton if required
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour includes walking, with some inclines and steps on unmade paths
This tour is not suitable for wheelchair users due to the paths at Hobbiton
Infants 0 to 3 may travel FOC if seated on a parents lap. Infant rate applies if a seat is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.