Full-Day Tour Of Salisbury, Stonehenge And Avebury From Salisbury
OverviewSee the ancient wonder of Stonehenge in modern comfort. This tour will show you the ancient English heritage and many sites of historic and cultural interest, including Stonehenge and the medieval city of Salisbury with its famous Cathedral and Magna Carta dating back to 1220. The tour dives into the depths of history and discovers the how, when, where and why of Stonehenge & ancient past of humans, from Neolithic Man to the present day. Stonehenge and Avebury in Wiltshire are among the most famous groups of megaliths in the world. The two sanctuaries consist of circles of menhirs arranged in a pattern whose astronomical significance is still being explored. These holy places and nearby Neolithic sites are an incomparable testimony to prehistoric times.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Small group ensures personal service
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Small-group tour by minibus
Know More about this tourThe full-day tour starts at 9am from Salisbury train station or Central Car Park Coach Park in Salisbury.
It begins in the Medieval Cathedral City with all of its history and mystique where you enjoy a tour of the City before spending an hour at the Cathedral taking in the tallest spire and the Magna Carta (subject to opening times) before departing at 10.15am for a brief stop at Old Sarum, the original City of Salisbury. This Iron Age settlement became Salisbury after visits from Saxons, Danes, Vikings and Normans. Old Sarum offers wonderful views over the City and the surrounding landscape. This is where King John had his garrisons in the early 1200s before the barons rose up against the King which resulted in the Magna Carta being sealed in 1215.
You will depart Old Sarum at approx. 10.40am and follow a narrow riverside road through a picturesque valley with its own history to tell. Here you can take in the many thatched cottages and begin to learn the history that surrounds Stonehenge.
Arriving at Stonehenge at 11.10am you will spend two hours experiencing the new visitor centre and the Ancient Stones before heading to Avebury.
En route to Avebury you will see the Alton Barnes White Horse (a large chalk carving in the hillside) before passing through Lockeridge (where the Sarcen stones originate that form part of Stonehenge & Avebury). You will also see Silbury hill, the largest manmade mound in Europe and the West Kennet longbarrow (an ancient Neolithic burial mound). If time & weather permit you will walk to the site and actually enter the burial mound.
At 2.15pm you arrive at Avebury where your guide will walk you over the site. Here you will try your hand at divining for spiritual leylines.
Leaving Avebury at 4.30pm you begin your return journey to Salisbury train station, Central Coach Park or a local hotel (if you are staying overnight). The tour will be completed at 5.30pm.
Inclusions for Full-Day Tour Of Salisbury, Stonehenge And Avebury From Salisbury
- Entrance fees to Stonehenge (Salisbury Cathedral by voluntary donation, NOT included)
- Bottled water
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Small-group tour
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local guide
- Port pickup and drop-off in Southampton (subject to an additional cost of 50.00 each way)
Exclusions for Full-Day Tour Of Salisbury, Stonehenge And Avebury From Salisbury
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. If booking is for one person there will be a surcharge of 40% applied. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.