07.00 Meet by the Bod Tourist Information Office
Meet by the Bod Tourist Information Office. You will be greeted by your guide for the day, who will escort you to the quay. As we need to catch the express boat, it is important you arrive on time. The boat calls at Landegode and Helligvr before arriving at Givr. The guide will tell you about some of the other inhabited and uninhabited islands in the archipelago off Bod.
Arrive at Givr
- Meeting our local guide: On arrival at the quay in Givr, you will meet hospitable locals including our local guide, who will proudly show you around the island. After a short briefing at the quayside about the plans for the visit, we will walk together to the large boathouse where light refreshments will be served.
- Short walk on the island of Givr: This promises to be a short walk as the islands main street (a gravel/cart road) is just 250 m long. The island is just 700 m from south to north, while the main island covers an area of just 0.11 km. A chapel and abandoned post office stand on Givrs highest point.
- About life on Givr: You will hear about everyday life here and what makes people live here instead of in the big city of Bod. You will gain an insight into the traditions of collecting eggs and down from the eider duck.
- Old buildings dating from 1601: We will visit the old rorbu (fishermens cottages) used during fishing in times gone by. These are among the oldest buildings in the municipality with the oldest cottage dating from 1601. You will also visit a wharf loft featuring a well-preserved collection of old nets and fishing gear.
- The eider duck as a domestic animal: Collecting eggs and down from the eider duck has been an important source along the North Norwegian coast right back to the Viking Age. Givr is one of the few places where eider ducks are still kept as a sort of domestic animal.
- Interaction between ducks and humans: The locals protect the ducks from predators and are rewarded with their lucrative down. Learn about this fascinating interaction between ducks and humans. During the nesting season, female eider ducks are so tame that you can have a close-up encounter without them flying away.
17.20 (14.20*) Express boat from Givr
The return trip to Bod by express boat calls at various island. This varies from trip to trip, but usually includes Helligvr, Landegode and sometimes also Bliksvr.
*NB: The times in parentheses are valid from 1 May 22 June and 20 Aug. 1 Oct.