Experience Portage Glacier on this tour! This day tour departs Anchorage for the scenic drive south along the edge of the Turnagain Arm on the Seward Parkway. This road is considered to be AmericaâÂÂs most beautiful and scenic road, crossing mountain passes and majestic valleys.Â See stunning scenery along the scenic Seward Highway.Â Photo Opportunities along the way with stops at Beluga Point and Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge. Â Visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.Â Enjoy Wide-Open Panoramic vistas high above the Chugach Mountains.
- Family friendly
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Small group ensures personal service
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
Know More about this tour
Your tour guide will meet you between 8-9am at your Anchorage area hotel, and get you prepared for a full day adventure of exploring the Anchorage wilderness.
The fun begins when you leave the city and drive down the Seward Highway, which is often regarded as one of America's most beautifully scenic roads. Take in the beauty of the Turnagain Arm, a narrow channel of the Cook Strait, and at roadside stops like Beluga Point, snap some photos and keep an eye out for moose, eagles, or dall sheep. Continuing south you'll make a stop at the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, before continuing on to Portage Lake for a cruise to Portage Glacier.
Because the glacier is currently retreating, you can no longer see the glacier itself when standing in front of the visitor center, but by taking a boat across the lake you get a front row view. Hear the shifting river of ice as it cracks, rumbles, and groans, and if you're lucky you'll see some ice go calving into the lake.
You'll next have the chance to get up close to wildlife, and see injured, orphaned, and rehabilitated animals at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Spread out over 140 acres, this facility is meant to raise awareness toward Alaska's native wildlife, and spend time with bison, elk, caribou, muskox, eagles, and moose.
After watching glaciers and snapping dozens of photos, your tour finishes when you're dropped off at your Anchorage area hotel.
Inclusions for Glacier Discovery Tour
- Professional Local Guide
- Professional photographer guide (when available)
- Bottled water
- Light snacks
- Small-group tour
- Spanish-speaking guide (when available)
Exclusions for Glacier Discovery Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Pickups from private homes, apartments or B&B's. If this is your case, please contact the supplier for the nearest pick up location
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required for this tour to operate
Glacier Cruise portion of the tour is subject to weather conditions
Activity levels easy. Guests should be able to walk short distances on uneven ground. Trails surfaces vary from paved to uneven natural terrain.
Tour participants must be able to walk a short distance and be able to get in/out of the tour vehicle with minimal assistance
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.