OverviewMeeting point for this 2-hour guided walk in Killarney National Park is opposite St. Marys Cathedral which dates from 1842. Cross the road entering the National Park by the lovely thatched cottage and walk up the hill to Knockreer House, and Dairy Cottage where President Charles De Gaulle of France spent nearly two weeks in June 1969. Just after this a great vista of the lake, and mountains opens where you are likely to see some of our native red deer grazing in the fields. Your guide knows all the best places off the beaten path as he was born just a short distance away, and you should enjoy the company of Rua the friendly red setter.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
Know More about this tourMeet your guide at 11am outside O'Sheas Funeral Home opposite St. Marys Cathedral for a two hour walk of Killarney National Park. This can be extended to a longer walk if desired.
The cathedral was designed by Augustus Welby Pugin who came over to Killarney from London, and building commenced in 1842. During the great famine the unfinished building was used as a shelter for starving people who came in from the countryside. The lovely thatched cottage Deenagh Lodge which once served as a gate lodge is now a popular tea rooms during the summer months.
Queen Victoria was a visitor to this area back in 1861 arriving in Killarneyby train, a new age travel asthe railway first opened in Killarney in 1853. Sika deer were introduced to the area from Wicklow in 1865, and there is now a good number of them. The native red deer are a bigger attraction they came close to extinction but thankfully there now is a good size herd in the National Park.
The year 1969 was an exciting one as Charles De Gaulle spent nearly two weeks in a cottage nearby with a big security presence. The film Ryans Daughter was filmed in Dingle,but the love scene was done in theNational Park. Not surprising as the scenery speaks for itself.
All the local guides have a great love of their home place, so you can be guaranteed an informative tour.
Inclusions for Guided Killarney National Park Walking Tour
- Special footwear not required, but if you have walking boots you are advised to wear them
Exclusions for Guided Killarney National Park Walking Tour
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.