Guimarães Half Day Tour From Porto
OverviewDeclared an UNESCO World Heritage site in 2001, the quaint city of Guimarães is one of Portugal’s most important historical destinations. Portugal’s first king, Afonso Henriques, chose this former Roman city to be the administrative capital of the Portuguese kingdom after his victory at the Battle of São Mamede in 1128. Known as the birthplace of the nation, Guimarães is a fascinating place to visit, with its proud castle and well-preserved medieval quarter.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Small-group tour by minibus
Know More about this tour
Your friendly guide will pick you up from your hotel and transport you to historic Guimares, a 50-minute ride. Guimares became known as the nations birthplace after Portugals first king named it the capital in 1128. Learn about this and more ancient Portuguese history while exploring the renowned city center.
During your exploration, stop into the 10th-century Guimares Castle (admission included) before continuing to the Romanesque church of St. Miguel. While here, visit the baptismal site of Portugals first king, Afonso Henriques. Stroll over to the stately Palace of the Dukes of Bragana (optional), built in the fifteenth century to house the royal family.
Make your way toward the charming lower city to discover what earned this area of Guimares its UNESCO World Heritage site status. Meander through a sinuous maze of narrow streets, flanked by old houses decorated with statues. Arrive at the towering Nossa Senhora da Oliveira Church, where you can glimpse the ancient Padro do Salado monument. Then journey to the outskirts of the city to explore Toural Squares weekly fair. Pick up some goodies before riding back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Guimarães Half Day Tour From Porto
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance in Guimares Castle
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Guimarães Half Day Tour From Porto
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.