Hakalau Bird WatchingWrite a Review
OverviewHakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge is a must see location for birdwatchers and those who enjoy getting out of town for the ultimate nature experience. Native birds and plants await nature lovers looking for a unique and publicly restricted view of Hawaii Island. If you’ve always wanted to see Hawaii’s native birds this is the tour for you.
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Breakfast included
- Free snacks included
- Lunch included
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
Know More about this tourTours depart at 6:00 AM from pick up locations along the Kona/Kohala Coast. Departure times can vary.
The Hakalau Birdwatching adventure travels mauka (inland) from the West coast of the island making our way towards the Saddle road area. Along the way your guide will introduce you to habitats past and present and you’ll learn how the island was formed and has changed since western contact.
The old Saddle road area is home to many different birds including Pueo, Pheasants, and Francolins which are fun to spot as the tour winds its way up into the Saddle area between Maunaloa and Maunakea. Around 8:00 AM a continental breakfast is served at Mauna Kea Recreation Area including hot tea, Kona coffee, bagels, and fruit. The recreation area sits at the base of Maunakea and offers a beautiful view of Maunaloa across the saddle area.
After the breakfast rest stop, the tour continues on Saddle road until the Maunakea access road where you begin to climb before turning onto Keanakolu road. This is an almost 50 mile unimproved road that circles Maunakea at around 6000’ of elevation offering amazing views of the island's East side and volcanoes areas.
After only 10 miles you will find yourself at the beautiful Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge. Once gear has been passed out and an introduction to Hakalau been completed you will begin your descent on foot into the refuge. As soon as you step out of the vehicle you will begin to hear a chorus of beautiful voices from our native birds who call Hakalau home.
Although the walk is along a service road and not much more than a mile one way, it is downslope and somewhat uneven at times which requires participants to be comfortable with this kind of environment.
The time spent in the refuge is usually around 5 hours and guests will carry their lunches in and picnic along the way enjoying the beautiful sounds of the birds while they eat.
When our time in the refuge comes to an end the birding and fun doesn’t stop there. After some refreshments back at the vehicle, guests relax in comfort as they car-bird on the way home.
An additional stop is made at the Mauna Kea Recreation Area on the way home to stretch, chat and have a rest stop before continuing back the Kona/Kohala Coast area.
Inclusions for Hakalau Bird Watching
- Continental breakfast
- Rain jackets
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Walking tour
- Transport by private vehicle
Exclusions for Hakalau Bird Watching
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 12 years
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Availability for shows cannot be checked without making a booking. Credit cards will only be charged upon confirmation of show availability
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Bangkok Hotel To Koh Chang Hotel SIC
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport To Pattaya Hotel
- Chiang Mai - Half Day Mae Sa Elephants At Work!
- Dream World & Snow Town With Lunch SIC
- Jim Thompson House Private Tour
- Chao Phraya Princess Cruise With Dinner
- Angthong National Marine Park By Big Boat
- Van On Disposal Within Bangkok Area
- Airport Diamond Marhaba Service - Dubai
- Phuket Fantasea Show