Half-Day Skippers Canyon 4WD Adventure From QueenstownWrite a Review
OverviewHalf-day heritage tour that follows the rugged and once treacherous Skippers Road. Travel the road that was hacked by hand into the sheer cliff sides of the Shotover River Valley. As your experienced guide navigates the awe-inspiring canyon, you can relax and enjoy numerous historic sites along the journey, including a century old suspension bridge and the township of Skippers. Gain an insight into the local heritage through photos and relics in the restored schoolhouse before trying your hand at gold panning.
- Small-group tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Hotel pickup included
Know More about this tourThe Skippers Canyon 4WD tour begins by picking you up at your local Queenstown accommodation and heading out of town towards Coronet Peak Ski field. Take in panoramic views over the Wakatipu Basin, as you head up the mountain. Enter into Skippers Canyon and travel to Lighthouse Rock for a dramatic lookout over the canyon. Continue following in the footsteps of adventurers and discoverers as this historical winding road brings you to the historic Skippers Bridge a perfect photo opportunity.
After carefully negotiating the bridge, the road continues into the old township of Skippers. Long since abandoned, several original buildings remain waiting to be explored. During a pause for refreshments in the township, immerse yourself in the history of this place as the restored schoolhouse and old homestead divulge a wealth of information through photos and artifacts from early days of this settlement. The nearby cemetery depicts a more gloomy and dangerous life for these gold prospectors.
On the return journey, stop at Deep Creek where you can test your luck panning for gold in one of the richest gold bearing rivers in the world.
Inclusions for Half-Day Skippers Canyon 4WD Adventure From Queenstown
- Small-group tour
- Transport by 4WD vehicle with your driver/guide
- Gold panning
- Light refreshments (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit cake and cookies)
- Selected Queenstown Hotel pickup and drop-off （Surrounding suburbs, Kelvin Heights, Frankton, Arthur's Point, Fernhill and others, by arrangement only）
Exclusions for Half-Day Skippers Canyon 4WD Adventure From Queenstown
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
A maximum of 6 people per booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.