Half-Day Vientiane City TourWrite a Review
OverviewEnjoy a 4-hour guided tour of Vientiane and its laid-back atmosphere located along the Mekong River. Touring Vientiane’s city center brings visitors closer to its French influences and victory of its independence during the time of its occupation and its – nowadays - very strong ties with Buddhism. Visit Vat Sisaket, the oldest monastery in Vientiane, and Ho Phra Keo which is now a Museum of Buddhist art and sculpture, along with the Pha That Luang with its golden stupa, and the Victory Gate, also known as Anousavali.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourUpon pickup from your hotel in the city center of Vientiane, tour the highlights of the Laotian capital in the morning or afternoon. Your first stop is Vat Sisaket. Built in 1818 and withstanding the 1828 invasion from Siam, the Buddhist temple has survived in its original form, unlike most other temples that have gone through extensive renovations. Inside the main hall, and along the walls of the courtyard surrounding it, a total of 6,840 Buddha images rest in small niches or on shelves, next to remarkable frescoes.
Continue with your guide to nearby Ho Phra Keo, the former royal temple. Admire some of the country's finest Buddhist art and sculpture in a building that housed the Emerald Buddha until it was taken to Bangkok in 1778. See an original megalithic stone 'jar' from the Plain of Jars and find various artifacts, antique brass drums, and palm leaf manuscripts on display.
Then view Pha That Luang; with its golden stupa in a characteristic banana flower shape, it is considered the most revered shrine in Laos. The national symbol has a central structure that measures 150 feet (45 meters) tall and echoes the curving lines of an elongated lotus bud, and the original stupa is said to contain a relic of Lord Buddha. Its domination of the Vientiane skyline is clearly visible from the top of the Patuxai, the city's Victory Gate, which is your final stop.
Also known as Anousavali, the gate was constructed in 1958 with architecture inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris while also incorporating typical Laotian motifs like the Kinnaree, a mythical bird-woman. Energetic visitors can climb to the top of the monument for a panoramic view from Vientiane’s highest point. (Note: Entrance fee is not included, but you are welcome to pay at your own expense.)
Your guide and driver will bring you back at the hotel after approximately 3.5 hours touring along Vientiane’s most revered landmarks and iconic sights.
Inclusions for Half-Day Vientiane City Tour
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees (except for entrance fee to climb to the top of the Victory Gate)
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
Exclusions for Half-Day Vientiane City Tour
- Other entrance fees and expenses, such as other meals, drinks, tips and shopping, unless otherwise stated
- Fee to climb to the top of the Patuxai Victory Gate
- Transfers from and to airport, sea/river ports, train stations that are located inside or outside of the city center are NOT included; supplemental fees to be paid at time of pickup and drop-off
- Transfers from and to hotels and resorts that are located outside of the city center are NOT included; supplemental fees to be paid at time of pickup and drop-off
- Tips and gratuities
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
A moderate amount of walking is involved please wear comfortable shoes
This tour requires a 2 person minimum to book
To respect local customs and respecting the religious sites and temples on this tour, it is customary for guests to take off their shoes before allowed entrance. Your guide will inform you in advance for which of these sites this is applicable.
We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour.
Please note that pick-up and drop-off services may not be confirmed for customers staying at private residences, apartment complexes, or other non-registered tourism accommodations. Customers may be asked to meet at a nearby hotel for pick-up and drop off
The mentioned excursion durations are approximations; we are unable to exactly predict the total duration from pick-up to drop-off based on unforeseen circumstances such as traffic and weather conditions and the routing the driver has to take to get all customers on the vehicle. We ask for your kind understanding that these are average times
You might also like
- Private Day Trip To Nam Ngum Lake
- Private Tour: Vientiane City Sightseeing And Buddha Park
- Private Full Day Buddha Park And Nam Ngum Lake Tour
- Private Departure Transfer: From Hotel In Vientiane To The Airport
- Half-Day Vientiane City Tour Including Hotel Pickup
- Vientiane Half-Day City Tour
- Explore Vientiane And Local Villages Biking Tour
- Cooking Class In Vientiane
- Vientiane Including Central Market
- Vientiane Full Day Tour And Buddha Park