OverviewEnjoy a thrilling off road adventure tour while discovering “Lord of The Rings” filming locations. This adventure packed tour gives a great overview of the diverse scenery of the Queenstown and Arrowtown area, exciting 4WD river crossings and gold mining history. Visit filming locations of Minas Tirith, Misty Mountains, the Pillars of the Kings (Argonath), the site of Isildur’s Fall, the Ford of Bruinen and more. Light refreshments are also provided on this small group half-day tour.
- Small-group tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Hotel pickup included
Know More about this tourFollowing an 8:15a.m. or 1:30p.m. pickup at your central Queensland, Kelvin Heights, Frankton, Arthur's Point, or Fernhill hotel, hop into your 4-wheel drive vehicle, and head out of town to start your 4-hour tour.
This is the perfect tour for those who want the thrills of an off-road adventure, but also want to see Lord of the Rings filming locations. See the Remarkables, which were used as various mountains throughout the trilogy, including the Misty Mountains. Travelling part way up Queenstown hill, get a birds-eye view onto Deer Park Heights, which was used for the refugees of Rohan and the Battle of the Wargs movie scenes.
Travelling from The Remarkables viewpoint, head to the Kawarau Gorge where the filming took place for the Argonath or Pillars of the Kings. Leaving the Kawarau Gorge, go to Arrowtown where the loss of The One Ring at Gladden Fields was shot. Near Arrowtown experience a true off-road adventure. Following a historic gold-mining road, cross the river to get to the Ford of Bruinen. At this point you can try your hand at gold panning.
From Arrowtown, travel to the entrance of Skippers Canyon where you will be offered spectacular panoramic views of the Wakatipu Basin. Your tour ends with a drive back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Half-Day Wakatipu Basin 4WD Tour From Queenstown
- Small-group tour
- Transport by 4WD vehicle with your driver/guide
- Gold panning
- Selected Queenstown Hotel pickup and drop-off （Surrounding suburbs, Kelvin Heights, Frankton, Arthur's Point, Fernhill and others, by arrangement only）
Exclusions for Half-Day Wakatipu Basin 4WD Tour From Queenstown
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
min 2 per tour for confirmed departure, min 4 on NZ public holidays
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- The Ledge - Queenstown's Sky Swing
- Queenstown Zipline Tour
- Queenstown Kawarau River White Water Rafting
- Milford Sound Fly, Cruise And Helicopter Tour From Queenstown
- Kawarau River White Water Sledging
- TSS Earnslaw Steamship Cruise From Queenstown
- Dark Ride Movie Simulator
- Half-Day Family Rafting On The Kawarau River
- New Zealand's Biggest Swing: Nevis Swing Queenstown
- Queenstown Jet Boat Ride On Lake Wakatipu And The Kawarau And Shotover Rivers