OverviewEnjoy a 4-hour small-group guided walking tour strolling along Lake Lucerne's most panoramic vistas. You'll observe old wooden chalets, grand villas and historic castles while learning about their famous residents. Habsburg rulers, Russian bankers, an eccentric heiress, German princes, French textile magnates and American oil billionaires have called Lake Lucerne home.
Your tour departs and returns to the Lucerne railway station, which is included in the ticket price. There will be a stop for food and refreshments at the customers' own expense.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourYour 4-hour guided walking tour starts at 9am with a short bus ride from the Lucerne railway station to Meggen on the shores of Lake Lucerne. With your group, you will walk alongside the clear waters of the lake to the neo-baroque style manor of St. Charles Hall and hear the fascinating story of how it got its English name, about its former owners, and their connection to the oil giant Exxon. Admire the enchanting statues of Rolf Brem, a renowned local sculptor whose atelier was in the grounds of the estate. Right next door is a small fishing hamlet with picturesque 150-year old wooden chalets.
Continue past the privately owned Scloss Neuhabsburg built over the ruins of the 13th century Habsburg castle, and through a neighborhood of ornate old world villas, green pastures and working farm houses before arriving at the eastern entrance to the Schloss Meggenhorn. This estate is modeled on a French chateau and surrounded by vineyards and gardens with spectacular views of the surrounding Alps. Hear about the interesting history of the Schloss and the unique Swiss way in which it became property of the local municipality for a fraction of its worth. Depending on the time of the year, you can also taste some of the top-quality wine produced on the estate.
Finally, continue to the Hotel Hermitage for refreshments at its lakeside restaurant (own expense). From the Hermitage, you have the option of continuing on foot along the lake promenade or hop on a local bus back to the Lucerne train station.
Please note that although these properties are open to the public, open hours to access the interiors are severely limited; it is not guaranteed you will be able to have interior viewings, but there is always free access through the grounds of the estates.
You will return to the Lucerne railway station by bus at approximately 1pm.
Inclusions for Half-Day Walking Tour Of Lake Lucerne Villas And Castles
- Local English-speaking guide
- Small-group guided walking tour
- Transportation to starting point of the walk as well as return to Lucerne
Exclusions for Half-Day Walking Tour Of Lake Lucerne Villas And Castles
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- All items of a personal nature
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A total of about 2 hours of easy walking on mostly flat ground is involved
Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
Accessible for baby strollers and wheelchairs
Departure time is flexible and can be changed according to client wishes. Please inform supplier of preferred departure time.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.