Do I need any outdoor experience?
- Is this trip for me? No previous climbing experience is required. You are unlikely to experience problems climbing Hamaryskaftet if you are in good physical condition and have previous hiking experience. If youre scared of heights, you should think twice or ask us.
- Grading: this trip is graded as Moderate - Hard.
Season & Availability
May - October.
Terrain, distance and elevation
- The walk to the foot of the mountain is rather easy: a good path, which takes less than an hour.
- The climb to the summit involves several short, airy sections, but does not involve any very difficult climbing. Between the alpine sections, you will find large ledges where you can rest, eat lunch and enjoy the view. We allow plenty of time on this excursion so there is no need to rush.
- Total length of this trip is 3 km (both walking and climbing included).
- Elevation: Starting point is 200 metres above sea level. Top of Hamaryskaftet is 613 m a.s.
You should bring
- Wind- and waterproof outer clothing and (if its cold) a sweater or fleece jacket, woollen underwear, hat and gloves.
- Hiking boots or approach shoes are fine. Preferably not ordinary training shoes because the soft sole is unsuitable for climbing.
- Backpack (30 40 litres) with some spare space for some of our climbing equipment.
- Food and drink. There is one place to fill your water bottle during the climb.
- If you have long hair, please bring a hair tie so your hair does not get caught in the abseil device during the abseiling. Please remember to cut long fingernails.
- Bring NOK 20 for the toll. The final part of the road is on private land.
We will provide
- We have all necessary equipment: ropes, carabiners, climbing harnesses and helmets.
- A knowledgeable, english speaking guide with a sense of humour and passion for this area.