OverviewExplore Hanga Roa, the capital of Easter Island, on this 3-hour tour ideal for first-time visitors. Learn about the islandâs history and its indigenous Rapa Nui culture at the Father Sebastian Englert Anthropological Museum, and see a rare female moai stone statue on display. Observe the curious melding of European and Rapa Nui influences at the local Catholic church, and browse through unique stone and wood carvings at the artisan market. Hotel transport is included.
- Family friendly
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
Know More about this tourLocated on the southwestern coast of the Chilean province of Easter Island, Hanga Roa means âwide bayâ for the body of water on which the small city sits.
After hotel pickup, your guide takes you to the open-air artisan market, where 40-some grass-hut stalls offer for sale original driftwood and shell carvings, as well as the island's famous statues known as moai, wide-eyed human figures carved out of rock, a traditional form of art by the indigenous Rapa Nui.
Continue to the Father Sebastian Englert Anthropological Museum, founded in 1973 and named after the German missionary who had lived on the island for more than 30 years and documented the Rapa Nui language, customs and culture.
Look upon the museumâs top exhibit: a female moai with a white coral and red scoria eye, discovered at Anakena Beach and considered rare, as most moai statues found are male.
Most of the displays appear in Spanish but don't worry if you donât speak the language â your knowledgeable guide explains the islandâs history and the significance of the artifacts that you see along the way, including obsidian stone tools and fishhooks.
Your next stop, the Church of the Holy Cross, provides a great example of how Catholic and Rapa Nui cultures combined and share the same space. See the faÃ§ade's classic Christian themes juxtaposed with birdmen motifs, along with Rongorongo inscriptions, a type of Rapa Nui glyphs.
Walk inside the church and observe how this fusion continues: Western figures in paintings wear Rapa Nui ornaments, and one altar rests on top of a block of native volcanic stone.
Having obtained a good base knowledge of the islandâs history and culture, youâll be taken back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Hanga Roa City Tour
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned van or bus
Exclusions for Hanga Roa City Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fee to Father Sebastian Englert Anthropological Museum: approx. 1,000 Chilean pesos (USD 2)
- Entrance fee to Rapa Nui National Park (56,000 Chilean pesos)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes
Note: Port pickup is available for an additional fee payable on the day of the tour. Please contact the local tour operator if you'd like this service
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.