How does studying at Oxford University compare with studying atÂ Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Find out on this 1.5-2 hour walking tour of Harry Potter film sites in Oxford. A fun tour for Muggles of all ages, the guide will cater the tour according to everyone's interests so it is also a tour that is fun for adults who happen to be interested in learning about Oxford University heritage.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Ideal choice for families
- Popular choice with kids
- Tour is wheelchair accessible
- Step back in time on a history tour
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourFind your guide dressed in Hogwarts cloak outside Oxford Visitor Information Centre. Please arrive 5 minutes prior to departure time. Unless you have packed broomsticks, the tour will be conducted on foot and you will see or visit inside various Oxford locations including two of the three Harry Potter film sites.
Find out on this tour about the main Harry Potter actors and the producers and J.K Rowling's decisions how to bring the much loved stories onto the screen. You will learn about how various incidents shaped the success of the stories and films but will also be introduced to other legendary literary characters and writers who are associated with Oxford, such as Lewis Carroll, J.R.R Tolkien and CS Lewis.
You may be also shown additional colleges but the Harry Potter film sites which are New College and the Divinity School, also the older part of the university's Bodleian Library. These venues normally charge an entry fee but these are included in your tour price.
Inclusions for Harry Potter Filming Locations Tour In Oxford
- Entrance to 2 of the 3 film sites is possible on most days of the year-namely New college and the Divinity School (which is part of the Bodleian Library). WE do not visit inside the medieval Bodleian library upstairs as it is not permitted for any tour operator to take you inside the library itself.
- Please also note that on Oxford university graduation dates, if the Divinity school is closed, you will be offered entrance into a substitute college which is not a Harry Potter film site. If you book on such a date, we will make this know to you.
- If New college is closed, you will instead go into Christchurch
- Where possible, you will also visit inside Exeter college, where JRR Tolkien studied & where they often filmed Inspector Morse TV series.
- Please see the section titled 'Additional Information' or 'Voucher Details' for info on any and all dates on which due to partial or full closures of film sites venues that are known at this time
Exclusions for Harry Potter Filming Locations Tour In Oxford
- Gratuities (optional)
- Christchurch college entrance is not usually included on our Harry Potter tour (due to queues and the fact that contrary to common belief, it is NOT the Hogwarts dining hall film site anyway). Instead we usually visit New College (1379) and The Divinity School(1400s) at the Bodleian library, but if one of those above venues were closed, we would instead take you to Christchurch and include its entrance fees in your tour ticket booking.
- Please note the tour does not visit inside the medieval library upstairs.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
2:30pm is the normal start time but NB please see early start times in the <Voucher Details> section of this website page for special early start times on dates, when there are film site closures or early closures. On such dates, we may start earlier.
Christchurch college entrance is not usually included on this Harry Potter tour (due to queues and the fact that contrary to common belief, it is not the Hogwarts dining hall film site). Instead you usually visit New College (1379) and The Divinity School (1400s) at the Bodleian library, but if one of those above venues were closed, you would instead go to Christchurch and include its entrance fees in your tour ticket booking
If the local operator is aware of advance closures and therefore cannot provide access to the film site locations on a specific date, you will either be offered the tour at a revised start time or adjacent date or refunded in full or upon your agreement, you may be booked onto a different tour that is available
On any day that the Divinity School film site is closed all day, if you book this tour on any of these dates, we apologize in advance but the tour will run at 2:30pm but only visit inside New college film site and no other film sites. Local supplier will try to find alternative colleges for you to visit too. At the current time, there are no known closures of the Divinity school.
On any date that New college is closed, we will replace with entrance to Christchurch:
PLEASE NOTE FOLLOWING DATES WITH KNOWN CLOSURES:
Sun Aug 27th- NB 11am tour start time due to early closures
Mon Au 28th-Divinity school closed all day! So we will visit eg Exeter instead!
Tue Aug 29th- Divinity school closed all day! So we will visit eg Exeter instead!
Wed Aug 30th- Divinity school closed all day! So we will visit eg Exeter instead!
Thu Aug 31st- Divinity school closed all day! So we will visit eg Exeter instead!
Fri Sep 1st- Divinity school closed all day! So we will visit eg Exeter instead!
Sat Sep 2nd- NB 13.30 tour start time due to early closures
Sat 2nd Sep 2017- NB 13.30 tour start time due to early closures
Sat 23rd Sep 2017- NB 13.30 tour start time due to early closures
Sat 28th Oct 2017- NB New college closed so tour instead will visit Christchurch
Sat 4th Nov 2017- NB New college closed so tour instead will visit Christchurch
Sat 9th Dec 2017- NB New college closed so tour instead will visit Christchurch
Special Notice: While very rare, the film sites are private university and college venues, on very rare occasions they may suddenly close to the public without any advance notice!