OverviewWitness the grandeur of the Lake Districts central mountains and western fells on this full-day High Mountain Passes tour from Keswick. Traveling by air-conditioned minivan, follow a route first traced by the Romans over the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes, two of Britains steepest. Ascend through breathtaking fells, visit Roman Hardknott Fort and ride the heritage Ravenglass and Eskdale railway. After a lunch break, admire spectacular views of Wastwater and stroll through the gardens of Muncaster Castle, home to the World Owls Trust before returning to Keswick via Windermere.
- Small-group tour by minibus
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourYour tour will depart from Keswick and will head into the western swathes of the Lake District. On route you will drive alongside the beautiful Thirlmere, Grasmere and Rydal Water before driving through the little town of Ambleside. As you drive through Ambleside you will be able to see the Bridge House, which stands over Stock Beck and has been around since the 17th century.
From Ambleside you will travel through the Langdale Valley, a favourite of rock climbers and walkers, as your guide shares information about the region and its culture. Ascend both the steep Wrynose and Hardknott Passes and soak up the spectacular views of the remote fells as you trace the narrow, twisting roads through the peaks.
Stop briefly at the top of the passes, take the opportunity to marvel at the awe-inspiring views to Upper Eskdale, Scafell and Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountains.
Arrive in the Eskdale Valley, and take a memorable ride on the heritage Ravenglass and Eskdale railway, affectionately nicknamed ‘La’al Ratty’ (little railway). Trundle through picturesque woodlands and countryside, and stop for lunch (at own expense) at one of the quaint valley inns.
Afterward, continue to Wastwater, a beauty spot once voted as commanding ‘Britain’s favorite view.’ Drink in the panoramas that encompass Wastwater, England’s deepest lake, and the surrounding high screes and mountains, including epic Scafell Pike. Then, stop at 14th-century Muncaster Castle, owned by the Pennington family. Stretch your legs around the castle's gorgeous, 18th-century gardens, famous for their azaleas, camelias and rhododendrons; and admire the castle exterior as you stroll. If you wish, pay a visit to the Hawk and Owl Centre, home to a variety of prize owls and hawks, located in the grounds.
Then, relax on your return journey to Keswick, passing the beautiful Loweswater and Crummock water!
Inclusions for High Adventure Day Tour From Keswick
- Transport in a small mini-coach
- On-board commentary in English
- A ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale narrow gauge railway
- Entry to the grounds & gardens at Muncaster Castle
Exclusions for High Adventure Day Tour From Keswick
- Food & drink
- Additional Entrance fees
- Driver’s gratuity (Optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be 5 years or older
Confirmation is received at the time of booking
There will be a designated lunch stop where you’ll be able to purchase lunch
There are toilet stops on route
Minimal walking is involved
Our vehicles are not currently wheelchair accessible
Luggage storage is available at the Windermere Information departure location
Seats cannot be reserved
Each passenger must have their own seat
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.