Historical London Walking Tour Including Westminster And Entry To Churchill War Rooms
OverviewDiscover Westminster’s Second World War sights with a knowledgeable guide and visit the fascinating Churchill War Rooms, an underground network of bunkers that served as the government wartime offices. The 2-hour walking tour includes little-known war tales and tidbits of London history as well as facts about the much-loved maverick leader Sir Winston Churchill. Learn of his life and legacy on an audio tour of the Churchill War Rooms' museum and cabinet rooms. The tour also takes in top London sights such as Big Ben and Westminster Abbey.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Led by a Blue Badge guide
- Small group ensures personal service
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
Know More about this tourMeet your guide in central London, and then set off on a walking tour around Westminster, the central London borough and home of British espionage that became the target of heavy bombing during WWII. Learn about the government staff who sheltered from the bombs in bunkers beneath Westminsters streets, and hear tales of Churchill and his charismatic leadership during the Blitz and beyond. Your guide has intimate knowledge of the London area as well as its WWII history.
After taking in classic London landmarks such as 10 Downing Street, the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, stop at the Cenotaph a famous British war memorial to pay your respects to the fallen, and then pose for photos by the Statue of Winston Churchill.
Next, bid your guide a fond farewell and head underground to independently explore the wartime bunker of the Churchill War Rooms, a hastily created office that served as the British war cabinets hub throughout the duration of WWII.
Your first stop inside the site is Churchill Museum, an interactive exhibition space dedicated to the wartime leader. A piece of living history, the museum is home to an array of Churchill artifacts such as cigars and outfits as well as audio recordings of his inspiring wartime speeches. Hear little-known facts and anecdotes about the leaders private and public life, and learn of the special relationship he cultivated with President Roosevelt a relationship that changed the course of history.
After visiting the museum, plug into your included audio guide and set off to discover the rest of the war rooms. The underground maze of bunkers and corridors became the home of secret government staff during the war, and many staff didnt even see natural light from day to day. Learn about their isolation beneath ground, and hear of the top-secret conversations and day-to-day domestic crises that took place.
How long you spend inside the Churchill War Rooms is up to you, but many visitors find 1.5 hours to be sufficient.
Inclusions for Historical London Walking Tour Including Westminster And Entry To Churchill War Rooms
- Professional guide
- Entrance fee
- Audio guide
Exclusions for Historical London Walking Tour Including Westminster And Entry To Churchill War Rooms
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not wheelchair accessible
Unable to accommodated strollers and baby carriages
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- The London Bridge Experience and Thames River Cruise
- The View from the Shard with Thames River Cruise
- Windsor Castle Bath and Stonehenge from London
- Private Transfer from Heathrow Airport to Dover Port
- Private London to Southampton Cruise Transfer
- Independent Layover Tour to Windsor from London Gatwick or Heathrow Airport