Howth Day Trip From Dublin
OverviewPeople say you haven’t seen the real Ireland until you’ve left Dublin and seen the countryside. This 6-hour guided day trip to the peninsula of Howth will do just that. After a short train ride, stroll around the area along seaside cliffs looking at ancient Viking ruins, Howth Castle, St Mary’s Abbey, Neolithic standing stones, 18th-century coastal defenses and W.B. Yeats’ boyhood home.
- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourMeet your guide in central Dublin to begin your 6-hour tour. After a 25-minute train ride, arrive in Howth. Stroll the hilly landscape, taking in the fresh sea air and walking along the cliffs. Let your guide regale you with historical tales of the area, particularly about the Vikings who first arrived in the 9th century.
Hear how the name Howth is possibly derived from hfu, an ancient Norse word for head, which makes sense as this peninsula is also called Howth Head and was inhabited by Vikings centuries ago. It is home to one of Irelands oldest structures, the imposing Howth Castle. Lovers of Irish literature might recall it is the spot where Leopold Bloom proposed to Molly in James Joyces novel Ulysses.
On clear days, Howth offers a great view of Dublin and, if you squint, you can sometimes see as far as Northern Ireland and Wales. The area also boasts Howth Castle (which you will walk past), one of the oldest occupied buildings in all of Ireland. Learn about its intriguing history and its place in Irish culture as you soak up the views. Lighthouses, Viking and medieval ruins, remnants from the Neolithic age and W.B. Yeats boyhood home are just a few of the other sights you may see.
When youve built up a hunger, stop into the Summit restaurant for a traditional Howth seafood meal, which is discounted for your tour group (or feel free to bring your own lunch, if you wish).
At the end of the tour, simply hop back on the train for Dublin. Or, if youre smitten with the real Ireland, feel free to stay a bit longer and sip a pint of beer in one of the great pubs that sprinkle the area.
Inclusions for Howth Day Trip From Dublin
- Professional guide
- Round-trip train travel
- Complimentary poncho in case of rain
Exclusions for Howth Day Trip From Dublin
- Food and drink
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Admission to Howth Castle
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Sturdy footwear is strongly advised, as youll exploring some breathtaking countryside on foot, rather than sitting on a bus. Guests should be healthy and able bodied. Additionally guests should dress appropriately for walking on coastal footpaths and with consideration for the weather.
Please note that the Howth Tour covers approximately 6 miles (9.7km) of walking over a 3-5 hour period, occasionally off path and ascending/descending steep gradients. Please ensure that you are wearing suitable footwear (ie. no heels or flip flops) and that you have a suitable level of fitness for this type of activity. Unfortunately we do not recommend this tour for pushchairs, for those in wheelchairs, or for those less able to walk unassisted.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.