Into The Glacier Ice Cave Tour And Lava Cave Day Trip From Reykjavik With Live Guide And Touch-Screen Audio Guide
OverviewThis tour has offers an in-bus audio guide with 10 languages. Into ice and lava is your chance to get both beneath the surface a glacier and below the surface of the earth in a lava cave. Explore the man made ice cave of Langjökull and the largest lava cave in Iceland, Víðgelmir. Enjoy an amazing opportunity to get to know Iceland inside and out in the beautiful area of Borgarfjörður.
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Recorded commentary by audio headphones
- Likely to Sell Out
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
Know More about this tour
Your day trip starts with hotel pickup for the drive out of Reykjavik, enjoying a crispmorning view of Langjkull, the second-largest glacier in Iceland.This tour does not have scheduled lunch time so please bring lunch with you.
When you arrive at the glacier, you'll find yourself swiftly standing on top of the ice cap before descending beneath the surface aboard a specially modified glacier vehicle to reach the man-made ice cave, aka ice tunnel; during this experience, learn from your guide how global climate change has impacted the surrounding area.
Deep in the glacier, you can admire thestunning blue ice and learn about the glacier's constant movement, which you'll witness firsthand. Until very recently, what lies below Langjkull was a mystery, but bold ideas sometimes come to life, and the creation of this man-made ice cave was possible because of help from top engineers and renowned geophysicists. Inside the glacier, where temperatures are usually about 32 Fahrenheit (0 C), you can see from the layers of ice how the glacier was formed.
After this, return to the warmth of the vehicle, and head straight to Iceland's mightiest lava cave, Vgelmir. Just shy of 5,250 feet (1,600 meters), Vgelmir is one of the largestlargest lava caves in the world. Your guide will show and explain to you the features of the cave, including its colors, lava andice formations, and stalactites and stalagmites.
The lave field was formed during a volcanic eruption in the 10th century, originating under Langjkull. During the eruption, some of Iceland's waterfalls were created, such as Barnafossar and Hraunfossar. Mention of the lava cave dates back to 1398, and remains of human presence dating back to the Viking age were discovered in 1993. Thanks to a new signature walkway and feature lighting, the lava cave tour is family friendly.
Afterward, your day trip ends with the scenic drive back to Reykjavik for hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Into The Glacier Ice Cave Tour And Lava Cave Day Trip From Reykjavik With Live Guide And Touch-Screen Audio Guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- All necessary safety equipment for 1-hour tour of ice cave
- Caving equipment
- Local guide
- On-board audio guide with choice of 10 languages
- Transport by glacier vehicle
Exclusions for Into The Glacier Ice Cave Tour And Lava Cave Day Trip From Reykjavik With Live Guide And Touch-Screen Audio Guide
- Lunch (please bring packed lunch with you or order one from local supplier on-board)
- Headphones / earbuds for audio guide on the bus (please bring your own, or they are available for purchase on site)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour does not have scheduled lunch time so please bring lunch with you or order packed lunch with your guide
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.