OverviewIn this beautiful tour of Historic Cairo, history and architecture are elegantly braided together. Travel back in time to the splendid scents, sights and sounds of historic Cairo, the fabled bridge between ancient Egypt and modern Egypt.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
Know More about this tour
Greet your private guide at the main gate of Al-Azhar Park at a time of your choosing: for morning departures 9am-11am is recommended, or for afternoon departures leave any time between 5pm and 7pm. As you may enter working mosques, please dress modestly long, loose clothes that cover arms and legs and wear shoes that are easy to remove: women should also bring a scarf to cover their hair. Please note that a few sites closeto the public at 5pm.
You'll start your tour of some of the highlights of historic Cairo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, by strolling through the park and admiring the remains of the medieval city walls, built by Saladin's Ayubbid dynasty. As you only have two hours for this tour, you'll admire most of the sites from outside: either choose two to visit or ask your guide for recommendations.
From al-Azhar, you'll see the Mosque of Aslam al-Silahdar, the Aqsunqur Mosque (Cairo's answer to Istanbul's Blue Mosque!), the Altunbugha al-Maridani Mosque, the Ahmad al-Mihmandar Mosque, and the Qijmas al-Ishaqi mosque, which you may well recognize from Egypt's 50-pound bill.
Stroll through the Bab Zuweila, Cairo's best-preserved medieval gate, to the al-Salih Talai' Mosque, the Madrasa of Sultan Faraj ibn Burquq, and the historic market where vendors still sell traditional tents. Enjoy a feast of hisotric religious architecture as you admire the Mosque of Sultan al-Mu'ayyad, the Sabil of Muhammad Ali Pasha, the al-Fakhani (fruit-sellers') Mosque, the al-Dahabi house, the Mosque of Kafur al-Zimam, and more.
Pause for a while to absorb the full scale of the Sultan al-Ghuri complex, built at the start of the sixteenth century. With its mosque, madrasa, mausoleum, khanqah, and sabil-kuttab, it's given its name to the bustling, lively market street around it.
You'll finish your tour with a couple of Cairo's better-known mosques: the Mosque of Abu Dahab, and the 10th-century al-Azhar Mosque, home to one of the oldest surviving Islamic universities in the world. Your final stop is the notorious Khan al-Khalili bazaar: you may wish to enjoy lunch ora non-alcoholic drink at the famous Naguib Mahfouz Restaurant and Cafe.
Inclusions for Islamic Cairo History Tour
- Professional guide
- Private tour
Exclusions for Islamic Cairo History Tour
- Entrance fees (generally around 100 LE)
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Children must be accompanied by an adult
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.