Istanbul Shore Excursion: Private Full-Day Jewish Heritage Of Istanbul Tour
OverviewLeave your cruise ship at Istanbul port and explore the citys rich Jewish heritage on this full-day private shore excursion. Hear how exiled Sephardic Jews (those of Spanish origin) were welcomed into the city in 1492, and discover the history, landmarks and districts that the Jewish community has held dear ever since. See inside four iconic synagogues, experience the colorful old Jewish district of Balat; visit the Jewish Museum of History, and admire the views from the Galata Tower. This private excursion ensures full attention from the guide.
- All entrance fees included
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
Know More about this tourMeet your private guide at the port and board your air-conditioned minivan to begin your full-day shore excursion of the citys Jewish heritage.
Head first for the old Jewish neighborhood of Karaky and its Ari Ashkenazi Synagogue. Founded in 1900 and known as the Austrian Temple, the building is Istanbuls only working synagogue for Ashkenazi Jews (those of Austrian and Central European origin). After viewing its ornate interior, visit the nearby, 1950s-built Neve Shalom, the citys largest synagogue for Sephardic Jews.
Next, cross the Golden Horn to the traditional Jewish area of Balat. See the cobbled, stepped streets and colored houses some bearing the Star of David as your guide explains how the district has been the hub of the Jewish community for over 500 years. Along the way, call at the Ahrida Synagogue, the citys oldest synagogue, that dates way back to the 1430s.
Enjoy stunning views of the city from the 14th-century Galata Tower and then visit the Jewish Museum of Turkey, formerly the Zlfaris Museum. Inspect the exhibits that chart the history of Jews in Istanbul to learn how exiled Sephardics were first welcomed into the city in 1492 by Sultan Beyazid Khan II.
Finish in the Ortaky district, the site of the Sephardic Jews first landings in the 15th century. If you wish, stop for lunch (own expense) in this trendy suburb, where the streets and quaysides are lined with restaurants and cafes.
Afterward, return to the cruise port, where your tour ends.
Please note: the order of activities as described above may be subject to change on the day of your tour.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to Istanbul cruise port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Inclusions for Istanbul Shore Excursion: Private Full-Day Jewish Heritage Of Istanbul Tour
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private, air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
- Covered by Viators worry-free policy
Exclusions for Istanbul Shore Excursion: Private Full-Day Jewish Heritage Of Istanbul Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
It is highly recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Small Group Istanbul Highlights Tour Max 8-10 people
- A Tasty Journey at Ottoman Streets
- Explore Turkey and Egypt Tour Package 7 Days Combined Two Magical Countries
- Private Tour Istanbul Classics with Local Expert Guide
- Private Istanbul Old City Tour with Local Expert Guide
- Half Day Afternoon Bosphorus & Black Sea Cruise
- Admission Ticket to Sakip Sabanci Museum
- Istanbul Gold Combo