Iximche Mayan Ruin From Panajachel
OverviewVisit the closest Mayan ruin to Lake Atitlan. These well preserved ruins include pyramid-temples, ball-courts, royal palaces, museum, and interpretive signs explaining the history of the site. Built over 1000 years ago, this site is worth exploring. Mayan rituals are still performed at this site. Learn about the ancient Mayan civilization, the 5000 year old Mayan calendar, astrological observations, and how the modern day Mayan views their culture.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourThe late Post-Classic Maya ruins of Iximch was ruled by the Kaqchikel from the 12 - 15th century. Located in the municipal district of Tecpn, this archaeological site was the ancient capital of the Maya Kakchiquel Indians and Guatemalas first capital The Kingdom of Goathemala.
These well preserved ruins, located on a promontory in the higher and cooler Sierra mountains, surrounded by steep slopes and pine trees. The spectacular scenery is worth the visit alone.
The architecture of the site included a number of pyramid-temples, palaces and two Mesoamerican ball-courts.
At the time of the Spanish conquest Iximche, was the second most important city in the Guatemalan Highlands, after the K'iche' capital at Q'umarkaj.
Conquistador Pedro de Alvarado was initially well received in the city in 1524 and the Kaqchikel Kings provided the Spanish with native allies to assist in the conquest of the other highland Maya kingdoms.
Iximche was declared the first capital of the Kingdom of Guatemala in the same year. Due to excessive Spanish demands for tribute the Kaqchikel soon broke the alliance and deserted their capital, which was burned in 1526 by Spanish deserters.
Mayan rituals are still performed at this site on important occasions. Chances of witnessing a Fire Ceremony are good.
The tour of the ruins usually takes around one-two hours.
Inclusions for Iximche Mayan Ruin From Panajachel
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan, coach, or SUV
- Round-trip private/shared transportation (depending on tour option)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Iximche Mayan Ruin From Panajachel
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A moderate amount of walking is involved
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.