Iztaccihuatl Volcano Hiking Tour From Mexico City
OverviewHike up Iztaccihuatl Volcano, Mexicos third highest mountain, for a nature-filled day full of adventure! Heading two hours east from Mexico city with an expert guide, begin your tour with a hearty breakfast (own expense) in Tlalmanalco to fortify your climb. Youll get just a couple thousand feet shy of the snow-capped summit on the 17,000-foot dormant volcano, with outstanding views of neighboring Popocatepetl and the Valley of Mexico below.
- All entrance fees included
- Family friendly
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tourStart your venture to Iztaccihuatl Volcano early in the morning with an expert local guide. Meet your group and relax aboard your comfortable vehicle, heading eastbound for two hours until you reach a point to stop for snacks.
You will be close to the foot of the dormant Iztaccihuatl Volcano, also called The Sleeping Woman or White Woman for the four snow-capped peaks that resemble its popular names. Youll need the energy for your 3-hour ascent up the mountain!
Continue your journey by car through the Valley of Mexico, a highland plateau located in the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt. Your guide will drive you through Paso de Corts, a mountain pass named for the 16th-century Spanish conquistadores who crossed on their way to Tenochtitlan.
When you reach La Joya, begin your ascent up the volcano, starting at an elevation of 12,000 feet (3,700 meters). There are several hiking routes toward the summit for a range of skill levels from novices to professional mountain climbers; your guide will lead your group up an intermediate-level path for both beginners and those with more experience to enjoy.
As you climb, admire the stunning and changeable landscape, including seasonal snow and a diversity of flora. Enjoy the stillness and quiet serenity of your surroundings, which add an extra touch to the breathtaking views of the Valley of Mexico below.
Depending on the comfort of your group, you may climb as high as 13,800 to 15,800 feet (4,200-4,800 meters), getting close to the permanently snow-covered peaks and nearby glaciers. Catch breathtaking views of Popocatepetl, also called Smoking Mountain, an active volcano south of Iztaccihuatl.
Your guide will ensure adequate time to take pictures, enjoy the panoramic vista or simply reflect on the tranquility of the mountain landscape. When youre ready, prepare for the descent and enjoy a delicious lunch (own expense). Choose from a menu of quesadillas, tamales, birria (spicy meat stew) or other delicious dishes. After satisfying your appetite, return to Mexico City with your guide, arriving at around 6pm.
Inclusions for Iztaccihuatl Volcano Hiking Tour From Mexico City
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
- Round-trip transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for Iztaccihuatl Volcano Hiking Tour From Mexico City
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please note: it is recommended you bring your own snacks, energy bars, bottled water and wear comfortable walking or hiking shoes
The altitude can pose a problem for many people and a strong fitness level is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 6-Hour Private Guided Tour: Essential Mexico City Highlights
- Hike at Nevado de Toluca Volcano
- Mexican muralism
- Tour of Glowworm Nights from Mexico City
- Mezcal tasting and food experience
- Teotihuacan Pyramids Private Tour from Mexico City
- Mariachi and Mezcal Tasting in Mexico City
- ATV Tour in the Nevado de Toluca and Metepec from Mexico City