Jerez Day Trip From Cadiz & Sherry Winery
OverviewEnjoy a privatearound Jerez de la Frontera that is considered the birthplace of Flamenco, when some gypsy families abandoned the nomadic life to settle down there. It's wineries also produces it famous Sherry Wine, internationally recognized for its exquisiteness.There are few places in Spain which can lay claim to international recognition enjoyed by Jerez. Thanks to its wine, jerez or sherry, the equestrian tradition, the bulls, flamenco and motor-racing, this Andalusian towns name has been known far and wide for many years.
Know More about this tour
The Phoenicians arrived in the surrounding area some 3,000 years ago to establish a colony called Xera, which became known as Ceret under the rule of the Romans, and Sheres or Xeres when it became an Arabic fortress. Under the reign of the Catholic Monarchs, the prosperous trading of its famous wines with the English began. The Muslims left a deep mark on the town, including the layout of the quarters situated at the heart of the old Arabic city town centre: San Lucas and San Mateo, where the church of the same name is to be found, the Market Square (housing the Archaeological Museum) and the Riquelme Palace.
But without a doubt, the most important Al-Andalus feature is the Alcázar de Jerez, which is situated within the walled enclosure of the Mosque, the Arab Baths and the Olive Garden, with its cisterns and fountains which are in perfect
harmony with the Baroque palace of Villavicencio, built upon the ruins of the original Islamic palace, with a tower where the visitor can find the original Camera Obscura.
The town has many interesting examples of Gothic architecture. In the Santiago quarter, home of bulería music, there is the Church of Santiago, dating from the 15th century, which holds the image of Our Father Jesús del Prendimiento, attributed to La Roldana. The Convent-Church of Santo Domingo and San Marcos Church are also good examples of this style. They each house some of the images which are carried through the streets during Easter Week (Jerezs main festival, along with the Horse Fair).
Very nearby is the Cathedral, a beautiful, highly monumental work of Baroque architecture. Inside, the choir stalls, the Virgen Niña de Zurbarán, an Inmaculada by Vaccaro, a crucifix by Juan de Arce and the Cristo de la Viga, (Gothic, 14th century) are all worth a visit. The adjacent tower is built on the site of the Arab minaret.
But if we really want to get to know Jerez and its people, there is nothing better than a long walk along the Calle Larga, the nerve and shopping centre of the town. This is where the towns heart beats strongest, -where the best shops are to be found alongside the pavement cafés where you can enjoy a drink and some of the delicious Jerez tapas. Then we can head for the Plaza del Arenal, Jerezs most emblematic square, the Mamelón, and the little Placita del Banco, which are all buzzing with activity, then to either Plateros or Rafael Rivero Square, which are friendly places with plenty of pavement cafés offering the towns tasty cuisine.
Inclusions for Jerez Day Trip From Cadiz & Sherry Winery
- Pick up from Hotels in: Cádiz, Jerez and El Puerto de Santa María.
- You can request pick up at Chiclana, Sanlúcar de Barrameda and Rota with an extra fee.
- Round trip private transfer by air-conditioned minivan
- Private tour
- Small group tour
- Tour in Jerez's historical center
- Entrance/ guided visit to a Sherry Winery with Sherry wine tasting
- Civil liability and accident insurance
Exclusions for Jerez Day Trip From Cadiz & Sherry Winery
- Gratuities (optional)
- Any other services not specified above
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.