OverviewLearn two techniques for dying cloth during this 60 to 90 minute class in Kyoto – Kasamaki and Nuishime. Shibori art pieces, tools and samples are displayed on the exhibition floor. In the museum shop, there are a variety of original items, souvenirs and fabrics for you to peruse.
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- All necessary equipment included
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
Know More about this tourThere are many techniques for dying cloth. During this experience, you can try two of these methods: Kasamaki and Nuishime. The Kasamaki method is a technique that involves stitching around the shape you want to create, pulling the thread tight, and then wrapping the threads around the cone of fabric several times. The Nuishime method is a technique that involves stitching along a line and then pulling the thread tight.
After dyeing a silk wrapping cloth (38cm x 38cm) using the Kasamaki shibori method and Nuishime shibori method, you will end up with a beautiful silk wrapping cloth that will serve as a great memento of your trip to Kyoto. Classes are usually held individually and will take about 60 minutes to 90 minutes.
- Choose your favorite design and color.
- Listen to the explanation of Kasamaki Shibori.
- Employ the Kasamaki shibori (winding technique) on your fabric.
- Listen to the explanation of Nuishime Shibori.
- Employ the Nuishime Shibori (stitching technique) on your fabric.
- Go to the dye studio and dye your fabric (approximately 5 minutes).
- Rinse your fabric.
- Go to the exhibition floor and watch a DVD and learn more about shibori and see the shibori exhibition until your fabric gets dried (approximately 30 minutes).
- Go back to the class room.
- Untie and cut the threads.
- Open your fabric and see the results.
Inclusions for Kasamaki And Nuishime Shibori Wrapping Cloth Class
- Admission fee
- Guided tour of the museum
- Free kimono fitting service
Exclusions for Kasamaki And Nuishime Shibori Wrapping Cloth Class
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 8 years
Adult pricing applies to any age
Not wheelchair accessible
Two cars parking and bicycle parking spaces are available
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Kyoto Full-Day Sightseeing Tour Including Nijo Castle And Kiyomizu Temple
- Kyoto And Nara Day Trip From Kyoto Including Nijo Castle
- Nara Afternoon Tour Of Todaiji Temple, Deer Park And Kasuga Shrine From Kyoto
- Kyoto World Heritage Hop-On Hop-Off Loop Bus
- 60 Minutes Ebisuya Rickshaw Tour In Higashiyama, Kyoto
- 90 Minutes Ebisuya Rickshaw Tour In Higashiyama, Kyoto
- Arashiyama And Sagano Walking Food Tour
- Half Day Kyoto Stroll With A Private Photographer
- Gion Walking Tour By Night
- Hidden Kyoto Bike Tour