Kayak Tour Into The Wairau Lagoon - Picton
OverviewA four hour, eco kayak and walking tour at the Wairau Lagoon, Marlborough, with a delicious homemade picnic.Paddle into the the channels of the Wairau lagoon. See the archaeological remains of Polynesian eel traps, visit historic buildings and the hulk of the SS Waverly. Our tours are tailored to you, therefore points of interests visited will depend on your fitness and the weather on the day. Hear stories from your personal guide about the hardy people who once lived here.Discover the wildlife of these beautiful and sacred waters. A kayak tour on the gentle tidal estuary allows close encounters with New Zealand nature andNew Zealand birds such as royal spoonbill, five species of cormorant, wrybill, black fronted terns and bartailed godwit. There are wonderful opportunities for wildlife photography. Your guide will be close by to answer your questions about the 93 species of bird you may encounter.
Know More about this tour
Your guided kayak tour begins with a short lesson on basic paddling and an assisted launch from the river edge. There will be time for a practice paddle before you are on your way.
Enjoy the freedom of kayaking down the slow Opawa river viewing wildlife such as royal spoonbill, white faced heron and other wading birds. Where the Opawa River joins the larger Wairau River you will make landing at the sand island which is a popular bird roost for terns and oyster catchers. Here you will have a short break, a drink and homemade muffin and hear about the stories of this fascinating area from your kayak guide.
Next we will head into the Wairau Lagoon, an expansive shallow waterway. We paddle under the cormorant colony tree which is a great chance to photograph these beautiful birds where they nest.
We then cross the channel to the boulder bank were we relax and enjoy a homemade picnic outside the historic home of the Perano family, here you guide will tell you the story of Jim Eyles who once lived here and how as a boy discovered the archaeological evidence of New Zealand's first known human settlement.
Return to kayaks for return journey up the Opawa River with panoramic views of the Richmond Ranges and Wither Hills.
We vary our tour departure and finish time to work with the tide and sunrise and sunset times, when you book we will advise you the best time to tour for wildlife and ease of paddling.
Inclusions for Kayak Tour Into The Wairau Lagoon
- Time for questions before the tour on the history and wildlife of the area plus opportunity to view our wax on linen cartographers map.
- Visit the cormorant colony.
- The home of Jim Eyles who discovered New Zealand's first village as a young boy.
- A good chance of seeing the magnificent royal spoonbill and other wading birds.
- Delicious home baked picnic includes bacon and egg pie, tomato, basil, cheese and ham bap, apple spice cake, oat and date muffins. (Dietary requirements catered for by prior arrangement.)
- One tree is planted for every tour to offset our carbon footprint. You can visit our eight hectare covenanted wetland.
- Department of Conservation Concessionaire since 2004.
- Driftwood is an independently audited tourism provider.
Exclusions for Kayak Tour Into The Wairau Lagoon
- Please bring your personal water bottle.Sun protection such as sun block and hats.Activity clothing such as jackets and thermals.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Half-Day Guided Sea Kayaking Tour from Anakiwa
- Shore Excursion: Highlights of Marlborough from Picton
- Private Shore Excursion: Explore Marlborough from Picton
- Full day Guided Sea Kayak Tour from Picton
- Ship Cove and Dolphin Eco-Tour Cruise
- Bird Watching and Dolphin Eco-Tour from Picton
- Picton Shore Excursion: Gondola Hill 4WD Tour