Kiev's Hermitage-style Monasteries
OverviewFeofania, Goloseevo and Kitaevo are known for their former hermitage style monasteries in the southwest end of Kiev. Now all those communities are flourishing but initially they functioned as pustun (Russian for a small secluded community, literally meaning located in the desert).
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Small group ensures personal service
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Fully narrated tour
Know More about this tour
In Kiev a desert meant dense uninhabited woods. There are still 2 monasteries and convent in Kitaevo, Goloseevo and Feofania. Two of them Trinity monastery in Kitaevo and Pokrov monastery in Goloseevo once belonged to the Kiev Pechersk Lavra Monastery.
Trinity church in Kitaevo was built in 1768 by Stephan Kovnir. The local caves were visited by Empress Elisabeth, daughter of Peter I The Great.She came to Ukraine to be with her new Relatives the family of her secret husband and former shepherd Alexy Rosumovsky. Elizabeth talked in the caves with monk Dosifei. As all other people she did not know Dosifei was unmarried woman, hiding away from his family and posing for a man. Dosifei is now a saint, whose relic is visited by many pilgrims.
Goloseevo monastery is dedicated to Pokrov (Ukrainian: veil) of the Virgin Mary. All its buildings look unusual for Kiev- they are red color (traditionally Kiev churches are white and green).One of the local churches is called the Spring of Life. In 1930s Goloseevo monastery did not functioned, but a woman by name Alipia settled down next to it and prayed. Her dwelling was a hollow in the tree-trunk. Now Alopia rests in the church crypt and pilgrims visit her to ask for help especially in their business life.
Feofania cathedral and other churches are also unusual for Kiev religious architecture. They are all red and white. St. Panteleimons cathedral (1914) is the tallest in Kiev.
Inclusions for Kiev's Hermitage-style Monasteries
- Private guided tour
- Professional guide
- Free Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Admissions fees are free of charge
- Transport by private car or minivan, minibus
Exclusions for Kiev's Hermitage-style Monasteries
- Admission fees
- Food and drinks
- Extra service
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Know the History of the Religious life of the Kiev.
Another language speaking guide is on request.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.