Koh Kred Nonthaburi Tour From BangkokWrite a Review
OverviewDrive to the pier for public ferry across the river to Koh Kred, a tiny island in the Chao Phaya River, located in Nonthaburi Province. We will walk to visit this small community of craftsmen famous for their distinctive style of pottery, which dates back many centuries. The potteries are known for their fine, red-black glazed surface and folk design. They are all hand-made piece-by-piece and you can see the process. People live on Koh Kret and nearby are the descendants of the ethnic Mon people who managed to retain the skills of their forefathers. Afterwards, continue to Suan Thip, a typical Thai House located on the Chao Phraya Riverbank where we will have lunch.
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All entrance fees included
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Family friendly
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourKoh Kret also known as Ko Kred, is an island in the Chao Phraya River, 20 km north of Bangkok in Nonthaburi Province.
The island dates back to 1722, when a canal was constructed as a shortcut to bypass a bend in the Om Kret branch of the Chao Phraya river.
The island continues to serve as a refuge to the Mon tribes who dominated central Thailand between the 6th and 10th centuries and have retained a distinct identity in their flavor of Buddhism and their distinctive pottery.
The island is roughly square in shape, each side measuring about 2 km, and a path runs around the entire island. The walk at a pleasant pace takes an hour and a half or two hours.
Koh Kret is another world compared to Bangkok and much of it retains the air of a rustic village, with wooden shacks propped against palm trees and the occasional dilapidated temple slowly crumbling. Hence the main attraction is just walking around, browsing the merchandise in the many pottery shops.
Wat Poramai Yikawat is the main temple on the island. There are several white marble pagodas carved in the Mon style and a small museum showcasing the temple's treasury.
Ko Kret is renowned above all as a center for kwan arman style of Mon pottery, which is just baked unglazed red clay carved with intricate patterns. This is regarded as the most beautiful of all unglazed pottery available in Thailand.
Prices for the simplest and smallest pots start from as low as 5 baht a piece, but can go up to hundreds or even thousands of baht for large ornate pieces. Particularly popular among visitors are candle and incense holders with ornate patterns of holes to let the smoke or light out, averaging around 200 baht.
There are about twenty pottery workshops on the island and you will see many kilns as you walk around, where you can watch the potter at work, carving the intricate designs with remarkable speed and accuracy.
Thai and Mon snacks and desserts are plentiful, making your stroll that much more enjoyable. Favourites include Khao Cher, Tod mun pla nor gala and Mon tempura.
A number of stalls also serve chaa yen or iced tea and other drinks in red clay cups with carrying handles, which you can keep as a souvenir for a few extra Baht.
8am - Pickup from your hotel by Private Transfer public ferry terminal
9am - Cross Chao Phraya River by ferry
9:30am - Explore the small community and visit pottery craftsmens
12pm - Lunch beside the Chao Phraya River at the Suan Thip Restaurant
1pm - After lunch stroll around Ko Kret and visit Mon Pottery Kilns and taste Thai and Mon kanom (snacks)
3pm - Return to Bangkok by boat
4pm - Private Transfer back to your Hotel in Bangkok
Inclusions for Koh Kred Nonthaburi Tour From Bangkok
- Entrance fees
- Professional art historian guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
Exclusions for Koh Kred Nonthaburi Tour From Bangkok
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transfers from and to airport, sea/river ports, train stations that are located inside or outside of the city center and others are NOT included in the service and supplements will applied.
- Transfers from and to hotels and resorts that are located outside of the city center are NOT included in the service and supplements will applied.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.