La Leona Petrified Forest Hiking Tour From El Calafate
OverviewWalk through a lunar landscape strewn with petrified logs and dinosaur fossils on this El calafate day trip to La Leona Petrified Forest. During an easygoing 7-mile (12-km) hike, learn about the area’s unique geological features from a knowledgeable guide. Beforehand, visit the historic Hotel La Leona, where mountaineers and bandits like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid once stayed. Enjoy air-conditioned coach transport between destinations and soak up views of Argentino Lake, Santa Cruz and La Leona rivers, and Mt Fitz Roy along the way.
- All necessary equipment included
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
Know More about this tourAfter hotel pickup in El Calafate, travel with your guide by air-conditioned coach for an approx. 21-mile (33-km) drive along Route 40, which offers breathtaking scenery. Admire Argentino Lake, Santa Cruz and La Leona rivers, and sweeping views of the impressive Andes mountains, including the snow-blown jagged peaks of Fitz Roy, the highest mountain in Los Glaciares National Park.
Make a brief rest stop at the historic site of Hotel La Leona, built in 1894 by Danish immigrants. Hear about the mauling incident that earned the area its name, La Leona, meaning the lioness, and find out which famous characters passed through this hotel and rest stop, including Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid and his wife, Ethel Place.
Continue by coach along the southern bank of Lake Viedma and disembark near the slopes of Cerro Los Hornos. After a safety briefing, follow your guide and begin your easy 7-mile hike (round-trip) to the Petrified Forest of La Leona.
Explore an arid and windy steppe of surreal landscapes and reach a massive natural depression in the ground, spanning approx. 1,977 acres (800 hectares). Your guide shares how this area once enjoyed a humid climate and was flush with forests, which volcanic eruptions and the changing climate buried and preserved underground.
Wind and water erosion exposed these tree trunks and, making your way along narrow paths, youll discover petrified logs, some with a diameter of almost 4 feet (1.2 meters), as well as dinosaur fossils.
About an hour into the hike, stop for a break and dig into your box lunch including a veggie tart, ham-and-cheese sandwich, fruit, candy and bottled water. (Vegetarian meals are available upon request; please indicate any dietary restrictions at time of booking.)
Walk back to the starting point and return to El Calafate by bus, making a stop in La Leona before being dropped off at your hotel.
Inclusions for La Leona Petrified Forest Hiking Tour From El Calafate
- Professional guide
- Bottled water and lunch
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
Exclusions for La Leona Petrified Forest Hiking Tour From El Calafate
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Minimum age is 6 years
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not recommended for participants with back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
It is recommended that you bring sunblock and wear comfortable clothes and shoes
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Seasonal tour operating October to April
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Estancia Cristina Full-Day Tour from El Calafate
- Rafting El Chalten Half Day
- Calafate 4x4 off road tour
- Perito Moreno Glacier with Boat Ride Option and Glaciarium
- El Calafate Airport Shuttle Transfer
- El Calafate Airport Private Transfer
- Full-Day Small-Group Perito Moreno Trek from El Calafate
- El Calafate History Museum Tour