After hotel pickup, head to the cobblestone streets of San Telmo, the birthplace of tango and the oldest barrio in Buenos Aires. Arrive at a conventillo, a historic tenement restored and now used as a restaurant-theater, where La Ventana takes place.
As you stroll through the theaters preserved architectural interior, travel back in time to the tango grandeur of the early 1900s. If youve opted for dinner, arrive 90 minutes before showtime and dig into a three-course meal featuring a wide array of Argentine and international dishes, accompanied by Argentine wines. See below for a sample menu. Or, if you chose the show-only option, slip into your seat in time for the performance, and enjoy provided wine or soft drinks.
Two tango orchestras and an Argentine folk music group provide live accompaniment to the five smartly costumed couples on stage, who grace the stage with sensuality and breathtaking precision.
Listen to both Spanish and indigenous styles of music from the bands as well as vocalists. Get a glimpse of the gaucho culture, or Argentinas version of cowboys, through a demonstration of boleadoras, used to wrangle livestock.
After the show closes with a moving tribute to Eva Pern, your driver takes you back to your hotel.
Sample three-course dinner menu (subject to change):
First courses (choose one of the following):
- Caprese salad
- Chef salad of ham, tomato, cheese, carrots and eggs
- Vitello tonnato (cold, sliced veal with tuna salsa and a creamy sauce)
- Beef empanadas served with greens
- Vegetable soup
- Cream of onion soup with croutons
- Grilled veal with potatoes
- Beef sirloin fillets with Spanish potatoes
- Skirt steak with oven-baked potatoes in herbs
- Grilled chicken with green salad
- Grilled hake with mashed potatoes, spinach and capers
- Pork matambrito with carrots, onions and potatoes
- Vegetable ravioli
- Sorrentinos stuffed with mozzarella and ham
- Flan with dulce de leche and cream
- Dulce de leche crepe
- Ice cream cup with fruit and cream
- Fruit salad bowl
- Pears cooked in malbec wine, served with ice cream
- Wine from Bodegas Zuccardi
- Water and soft drinks
- Coffee or tea