OverviewDiscover the beauty of Colombias Laguna de Guatavita (Lake Guatavita) on this half-day trip from Bogot! Learn the history of the El Dorado legend, which originated at this once-sacred lake, and explore the scenic shores with an expert guide.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Get inside tips from a local
- Ideal choice for families
Know More about this tourEnjoy a few hours out of the city on this half-day tour to Laguna de Guatavita (Lake Guatavita). After pickup from your Bogotá hotel, head north to the circular mountain lake, about an hour’s drive from the city.
When you arrive, your expert guide will show you around and tell you about the rich history of the lake, believed by many to hold a treasure of gold from the indigenous Musica tribe. The legend of El Dorado says that a Musica ritual where a tribe ruler walked into the lake covered in gold dust was followed by worshipers throwing gold jewelry and other gold objects into the water. Spanish conquistadors, as well as many other people from around the world, have gone to great lengths to find the treasure in the 'golden lake,’ which was sacred to the Musica people.
After exploring the scenic landscape surrounding Laguna de Guatavita, visit the Tominé Reservoir, which controls the water supply of Bogotá. You'll also have the chance to browse around a local craft fair, where you'll see products made of wool, clay and gold, before being transferred back to your Bogotá hotel.
Inclusions for Laguna De Guatavita Half-Day Tour From Bogotá
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Laguna De Guatavita Half-Day Tour From Bogotá
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour includes an insurance. Please send Passport number by the time of booking to make the insurance effective
A medium-high amount of walking is involved; you must be of average fitness and able to keep up with the rest of the group
Hiking shoes are necessary for this activity
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.